Thursday, September 08, 2005

Best of the rest

So Sarah McLachlan went and released a CD of remixes of some of her earlier hits. Now, I'm typically not a big fan of remix albums, but this one - Bloom - ain't bad ... even if it does dip into more techno-electronic-type dance beats than I prefer. I've given it my official thumbs up.

You can check it out at her official web site. My initial favorites are her haunting remix of World on Fire, as well as the modified hip-hop vibe on Just Like Me. I've always been partial to Ice, but that song sounds creepy no matter what bass line you put to it.

Still hard to pick her overall best work. World on Fire is a very profound song that was, in part, a response to 9/11. But I've always loved Elsewhere and Hold On, arguing that the former might be her most complete song in terms of lyrics and music.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber Rhea said...

I'm with you that Elsewhere is her best song. My other favorites of hers are Into the Fire, Building a Mystery, and I Will Not Forget You. I also think her first album (Touch) in its entirety is amazing and underappreciated. I listened to it practically every day freshman year of college. (One song of hers that I don't like is I Will Remember You. It feels so contrived, and the background singers are annoying.)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Into The Fire is a great song, and that's from an album I find fairly sub-par in Solace. Not that it doesn't have its good moments, but it's no Fumbling Toward Ectasy ... which is by far her best work.

Touch isn't bad, though I haven't listened to it enough. I really liked her B-Sides and Rarities album from either 1998 or 1999. The version of I Will Remember You on that album is much better than the one she released. Song For A Winter's Night is another one of my favorites and worth mentioning.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jmac!!!!

You should be ashamed!

You were a copy editor! A copy editor, dagnabit!!

So why, oh why, for the love of God why, does the phrase "comprised of" appear in this post??????

Agh!

Lovie

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Duly noted and corrected.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home