Tuesday, November 29, 2005

On the bowls

Real quick, let's discuss the at-large spots in the BCS.

There are currently four teams vying for the two at-large slots in the upcoming Bowl Championship Series.

- Auburn (9-2)
- Notre Dame (9-2)
- Ohio State (9-2)
- Oregon (10-1)

It's a given, unfortunately, that Notre Dame will lock up one of those two spots. I don't agree with that selection based on what I've seen on the football field. The Irish have beaten only one team of note, and that happened to be a down Michigan team. The loss to Michigan State is a blemish due to the Spartans' dismal finish, while the loss to top-ranked Southern Cal - while heroic - is still a loss. Notre Dame's quality wins don't match up with Auburn's (Georgia, Alabama) or the fact that Ohio State is the co-champion of the Big Ten. Plus Notre Dame has downright struggled in recent weeks, particularly on defense, and looked quite beatable in a nailbiter against Stanford.

On the other hand, Notre Dame is Notre Dame. Folks will tune in to watch them and their fans will travel the globe to see them play. Money, ultimately, drives the bowls and the BCS bowls know they can make some serious coin and garner some serious attention with Notre Dame in the mix.

Who should go? I'd stick with Auburn and Ohio State. No team in the country is playing as well as Auburn right now. The Tigers are only a missed field goal (or five) away from being in the SEC Championship Game and have looked most impressive in back-to-back victories over SEC East champ Georgia and former SEC West frontrunner Alabama.

Being the Big Ten co-champion, I'd give the other nod to Ohio State. The Buckeyes have more than earned their shot at a BCS bowl. If we're comparing losses, I'd say Ohio State's losses to No. 2 Texas and fellow Big Ten champion Penn State hold much more weight than Notre Dame's two defeats. Plus they've got victories over teams like Iowa and Minnesota, which turned in solid seasons.

Oregon shouldn't go because, well, the Pac-10 is always soft outside of USC. Sure the Ducks are 10-1, but who have they beaten? And that one loss, albeit to USC, was by 32 points. Their fans travel well, but the national attention won't be there.

Two things could throw more wrenches into the mix. If a 9-1 UCLA team can upset Southern Cal, then who's to say the Bruins don't deserve to nab one of those at-large bids. Being the streakbusters alone should garner them some points.

Likewise, if Georgia knocks off No. 3 LSU in the SEC Championship Game and takes the SEC's automatic bid to the Sugar Bowl, then you've got a 10-2 LSU team which is worthy of consideration.

Could get interesting.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cufflink Carl said...

Hating on the Irish? That's SO 2004. Seriously, the "nail-biter" against Stanford was bad for the Irish, but how about the nail-biter against USC? Shouldn't that count for something too?

Notre Dame deserves a bid for both football and economic reasons. Their fans not only travel well, they've got a national fan base.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

No hatin' on the Irish here my friend. I'm merely evaluating the teams based on their performances and who I think is most deserving based on what they did on the field. Auburn and Ohio State, then, meet that criteria.

But, as I acknowledged and you pointed out, Notre Dame does have a national fan base and commands a national audience. They'll sell out the Fiesta Bowl and give it high ratings, particularly for a matchup with Ohio State.

Pure football, however, I lean toward Auburn and Ohio State as better teams.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually LIKE Notre Dame and I am on the verge of driving a golf cart through Johnathan's dining room window if I hear one more word about how good they are. My lord I have never seen the media fall all over themselves for a two loss team in my life. Ahh, I'm just bitter that UGA (another two loss team) gets ZERO love from the media...I mean have you seen these bowl projections?! NOT ONE has us beating LSU...NOT ONE! I suppose I'm happy because maybe we can sneak up on the Tigers and "Shock" the world (that was purely a reference to our QB not to anything gross).

You will also be happy to know Johnathan that the "Georgia Institute of Technology, Stupid as as Stupid Does....1994 the Season of de-Zeier" t-shirt is a solid 1-0. I wore it all day Saturday, and even though I was in Greenville, it still got some long, at times, awkward glances while waiting in lines and in the library.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Excellent story! That's why I gave you the shirt my friend ... for long, awkward glances at the Greenville library. Not that you didn't get those already, but this added to the drama.

And I'm with you about Notre Dame - as I stated here. I like the Irish OK, and I'm glad Charlie Weiss has done a great job with them and has them back in the Top 10 (where they should be). But to automatically assume Notre Dame should go to the BCS is assanine.

I don't know what's happened the past two years, but the fact that the SEC has lost some street cred is ridiculous. Once Florida and Tennessee began to struggle, and Georgia, LSU and Auburn began to take over the conference's dominance, the media all of a sudden wrote off the SEC as a 'weaker league.'

Huh? LSU won a share of the national title in 2003 (though all anyone could talk about was the injustice Southern Cal had to face), while Auburn was unbeaten in 2004 but shut out of the title game (and could have given the Trojans a game that year).

And, sans Trev Alberts, ESPN has been all over Georgia this year calling them overrated.

While we're on it ... what's the deal with South Carolina? Regardless of the coach, anytime that program reaches seven wins, it get tons of media attention and the bowl of its choice.

9:35 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

I don't know what's happened the past two years, but the fact that the SEC has lost some street cred is ridiculous.

Agreed. Just because we have a competitive conference.

To hell with the damn Irish. That wide receiver creeps me out.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home