Thursday, March 22, 2007

Couple of things

- Well, Doc Elderidge opting not to run means Jim Whitehead has pretty much all but wrapped up the 10th Congressional District. We'll probably go to a runoff, but Whitehead's got the money, name recognition and Republican leadership behind him. He's also, if possible, more conservative than Charlie Norwood, which is amazing. And he's also probably the closest thing to a moderate out of the Republicans running, which tells you something about the rest of the candidates.

- The Democrats you ask? Well, there's roughly four of 'em, and they're going to be speaking at the Clarke County Democratic Party monthly meeting tonight.

- I'll be honest, I'm still not thrilled with their moving over there, but you also give credit where credit is due, and the boys from Kappa Alpha did something mighty kind right here.

- I offer an additional thought on District Eight, and the fellas from the Athens Banner-Herald do too.

- I don't disagree with Ray MacNair, but there are a variety of ways to push for a 'living wage' that don't involve regulation. One option is incentives for businesses. Another is governmental agencies doing so, thus encouraging private business to follow suit. Another is encouraging development of higher-paying jobs. Another is offering adequate training opportunities for low-income citizens so they can work their way up the economic ladder.

- Very odd, but it would seem to me this scenario is better suited for Alice in Chain fans.

- Let me just express my thanks for all of the positive, helpful and supportive comments I received regarding my posting on micro-lending. I must have gotten more than 20 emails from folks I know and some I don't, who expressed support and an interest in making this happen (and that includes a very kind email from State Sen. Bill Cowsert whom I had written to express my concerns with the re-legalization of predatory lending). I even fielded a phone call from a kind gentleman on Monday who, though calling for a different reason, began to discuss how to incorporate transitional housing into this equation. This could be a very worthwhile and constructive venture, and I'm going to do my best to keep everyone updated and involved.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ned said...

I run a group on Prosper.com and it has been quite good for the people involved. While it isn't microlending in the philanthropic sense, it is microlending none the less.

Anything that minimizes the middleman is good for the loaner/loanee. It might suck a little for the bank, but they have it way too good already.

I hope you write something about Jeff Emmanuel's latest column. What I really want to know is what does Victory actually entail?

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home