Monday, July 30, 2007

Couple of things

- Count my grandmother in this group as she lives one block from the front entrance to the Augusta National Golf Club and folks routinely come by and offer her anywhere from $500,000 to $700,000 for her one acre lot. And we as the family members who love making a little extra cash parking some cars during Masters week, as well as having a close proximity to the tournament itself, urge her not to. But this is a special case and the folks who live along the course need some sort of property tax relief.

- This is good news, and I'd like to see them go to even higher blends in the future. I'm also proud that my neck of the woods features the only gas station to offer biodiesel in the area, though the real reason 'the public is cool to it' is probably because we haven't seen a move by the auto industry to create more vehicles which feature diesel engines. My non-diesel Honda Accord has no use for it, but you better believe if I drove a diesel engine I'd be going there every day. If the manufacturers began offering wider options, I think you'd be surprised to see who would give it a go.

- Flack, I've heard him coin it too, though I'm not ready to classify me as one yet.

- Continuing to discuss this, but Matthew Yglesias points out that a good number of folks like Barack Obama's take on foreign policy.

- In news of the not-so-comforting, I'm going to take the word of the U.S. Surgeon General and the rest of the medical community over a guy who specializes in Latin American history and whose family happens to be chummy with the Bushes.

- Along somewhat similar lines, this is another good column by Leonard Pitts.

- Ah Cynthia ...

- Of course, the rebuttals to Robert Szabo will probably be juvenille and shallow, rather than recognize that a reasoned and respectful one has already been produced.

- Again, I know it's the NBA, but is it ultimately wise for the Celtics to mortgage their future for a shot at winning today? Granted I don't think either Rajon Rondo or Al Jefferson would ever pan out to be an NBA superstar, so it's probably OK to build that trio of Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, but you do have a trio of superstars that are 30-and-over, which means you probably have a three-year window at the max (if you can keep them together).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I hope that this isn't too juvenile and shallow. Szabo's reply essentially begs the question.

The fact that the Ten Commandments may be identical to other lists of religious laws does not address the question, to what extent did the Ten Commandments influence the Founding Fathers. Taking at its face value the statement that the Ten Commandments repeat rules from the Egyptian Book of the Dead, I'm reasonably certain that this book was not available to the Founding Fathers (no translation). I'm not taking sides in the debate; I just don't one should win points for a logically fallacious argument.

If I say that I try to implement the Golden Rule because Jesus taught us to do so,, the statement is not made less true because the same rule is propounded by all the world's great religions. Jesus himself acknowledged that it was a law of the prophets, but that certainly doesn't make it less a Christian precept, and should I produce some great work, it would be silly to say that I wasn't influenced by "Christian" ideals because Zoroaster said the same thing.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Well, actually, that's quite good.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home