Monday, August 27, 2007

Out of the rain

Ultimately, Mark Richt is a class act, and he apologized for bemoaning the fact that the University of Georgia doesn't have an indoor football facility. I, however, don't necessarily think he should apologize for what he said, just how he said it.

And that's why I think there's a certain naivity to what Texas is arguing for here, and I say that as one of the guy's good friends. Any sort of expansion for the UGA Athletic Association, particularly for the football team, would result in a massive fundraising drive. So to chastise Richt for his statements and urge him to push for a private fundraising drive instead reveals a lack of understanding about how the process works.

The team could use an indoor football facility, and I think it would help with recruiting ... which, based on the hauls the Bulldogs have pulled in over the past few years, is something worth pondering.

5 Comments:

Blogger Oconee Democratic said...

Well the basketball and gymnastics teams finally got their own practice facilities, although I heard the hoops one has no "extra" space at the end of the court for running past a lay-up, etc. My biggest question is where exactly we would throw this two and a half story monstrosity - maybe in Brad Johnson's backyard? I think the only places with enough realistic space is out by the intramural fields or women's athletic complex in Milledge. I seem to recall that they actually have a practice facility planned for somewhere much closer in.

8:45 AM  
Blogger rusty said...

Tennessee has an indoor practice facility. I don't think Florida does though, which surprises me.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

You'd probably have to do some renovations with existing fields near Butts-Mehre. That's the only feasible solution I can think of.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Oconee Democratic said...

I would think $60 million+ would be needed to build something this huge but I still don't think it is feasible in the crowded and pricey five points region, and yes short of putting a big Butler building over the astro turf field rapidly during the off-season, I don't see it happening, but then again, I am not the Athletic Association architect (Sniff?). I would well imagine Damon Evans is kicking into high gear on this one already this Monday morning. I bought some extra Western Carolina tickets this morning online so there is my $94 contribution.

On another note, GOODBYE ALBERTO GONZALEZ!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Button Gwinnett said...

Well, as a basketball nut, I don't want anything to get in the way of getting a new or refurbished basketball arena. In my own selfish little world, that's the first new athletic facility I want to see built. We also need to keep in mind that the nation's best college baseball facility in 1990 is now only middle of the pack in the SEC.

Georgia, Florida, and LSU are the 3 most successful SEC football programs in the last 7 years, and two of them don't have an IPF. So I think the article has some merit.

In the end, I don't believe that Richt would ask for anything more than what he needs. So I suppose we'd better get ready to ante up. And some other projects may have to be put on hold.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home