Monday, November 12, 2007

The Safe As Houses water challenge

In what was an interesting idea, the Athens Banner-Herald took a look at water usage by some Athens-Clarke County officials. Not surprising, but they do a pretty good job of conserving water, even though some of their bills were marginally higher than the previous year (which, as I noted on Friday, makes you scratch your head).

Our leaders are to be applauded for keeping their consumption low, particularly as they ask that we do the same.

Anyway, this has led me to think it would be interesting if I checked on my daily water usage, so starting yesterday morning, I have done so and will keep you folks updated on my usage. Any additional tips you have involving conservation, please feel free to send to me.

Yesterday, my household used 14 cubic feet of water or 109.2 gallons. If I average that out over a 30-day period, I will use 420 cubic feet of water or 3,276 gallons.

The average for a two-person household is 198 gallons or roughly 25 cubic feet a day. Considering we technically have a three-person household, I would assume it would be closer to 35 gallons a day.

My goal is to keep my monthly usage under 500 cubic feet of water, which would be lower than my previous 28-day total of 520 cubic feet. It doesn't promise to be easy, particularly with a baby in the house and company coming for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home