Thursday, October 20, 2005

Touching base

Since I've been busy with work and with planning the annual Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens's golf tournament, the posting has been quite limited. Sadly, that should continue throughout this week but let me go over a few headlines from today's paper:

• Yeah, if I'm the U.S. government, then I'm not giving up these guys either. This is one of the few issues I'm strangely conservative on, and that's the concept of putting American citizens up for trial under an international court or, in this case, heeding to international arrest warrants.

• Want to know what's wrong with today's Republican Party? Here is the proof. A federal judge wisely and properly says there is much stuff to be worked out on the Voter ID law, and Georgia Speaker Glenn Richardson throws a temper tantrum ... saying that we need to put term limits on federal judges ... and openly admitting it's because of the ruling against the Voter ID law. That's arrogance of the worst kind in my book.

"I think citizens in general are sick and tired of people they vote for and elect going and making decisions, and then a judge, who is not elected by anybody with a lifetime appointment, is able to put his or her will above those elected officials' opinions," he said.

Why is it his or her will and not the rule of law? Is it only their will when you lose?

On a similar note about Republicans, there's this.

• Amen brother.

• I really like this guy, but I don't think I agree with him on this. Though as long as we're talking about just Milledge Avenue to downtown, I can probably handle it.

My boy Tyson finally gets some love.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cufflink Carl said...

I'm still mulling things over about three-laning Prince. Last week or so, I took a pretty hard line against it, but I'm rethinking things. Not saying I'm going to change my mind, but Bertis makes some pretty good points, especially in respect to the calming effects on Baxter.

For me, as someone who travels up and down that stretch of Prince on a very regular basis, is the addition of a turning lane, which I believe will cut down on certain kinds of accidents.

My big concern is whether three-laning is going to push higher traffic onto Boulevard (which I already use when traffic is heavy).

Not particularly creative thoughts from me, but I'm still keeping an open mind.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Same here with regard to Boulevard. I think if you three-lane most of Prince Avenue - especially going past Milledge down to the hospital - you're going to see folks flocking to those back streets, which would be bad.

I'm not a huge fan of three-laning projects because I think they, on the whole, just exacerbate traffic rather than do anything to help it. So 'calm' is a matter of perspective. You trade some speeding for congestion.

Prince Avenue is never going to become a pedestrian friendly street, and large portions of it are headed for the necessary development to accomodate the growing medical industry in Athens-Clarke County.

But I'll gladly concede three-laning from Milledge to downtown in exchange for preserving the existing four lanes heading toward Jackson County.

11:21 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

I'll add that I kind of hate the concept of "traffic calming," mostly because I think it doesn't work. Has either of you driven down McLendon in Atlanta lately? It'll make you want to kill someone, even if you normally drive cautiously. Blinking lights and confusing signs everywhere, large bumps of sidewalk extending into the road, etc etc.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Amber Rhea said...

It never fails to make me shake my head... "traffic calming" efforts such as three-laning are not a solution. They are part of what a solution should be - because in order for those projects to have any effect, you also need to offer transit alternatives. Without alternatives such as bike lanes, easily accessible pedestrian paths, and reliable & frequent mass transit (busses, trains, etc.) - not to mention mixed-use developments that limit the necessity of giong all over creation just to take care of one's basic errands - people are not going to stop driving. And in that case it will only exacerbate traffic problems, as already stated.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Amber Rhea said...

(No offense meant to Bertis Downs, of course.) ;)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny - I would advise you against posting to your blog at work.

Two words and an old friend of mine: Doug Gillett

http://chutry.wordherders.net/archives/002313.html

10:08 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Thanks for the concern. But all I have to do is stick on a yet-to-be-attached disclaimer notice, and I'm good. We've been updated on this.

10:58 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

His boss is cool!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home