Friday, December 23, 2005

Music rules in 2005

Though it will pale in hipness and volume in comparison with Hillary's list, I put together my favorite songs of 2005 (in a top-15 list form):

1. Arms of a Woman - Amos Lee
The best album I bought all year long, and this was the best song of the bunch. Read somewhere's he's like a male version of Norah Jones, but I don't think that's the case. He's got more musical range and there's a more distinctive blues/folk sound to it ... more urban.

2. Grillz - Nelly f. Ali, Big Gipp, J.D., Paul Wall
Damn catchy and, though folks are partial to the Bill and Hillary reference, my favorite lyric is 'I got the diamonds and the ice all hand set/I might cause a cold front if I take a deep breath.'

3. Numb/Encore - Jay-Z/Linkin Park
From what I can determine, this was in 2005, though it seems like it's been out for at least two years. Anyway, best mash-up yet.

4. Breathe Me - Sia
I wavered about ranking this No. 1, but decided it was still top five worthy. Though its use in the Derailed trailer almost ruined it.

5. Run It - Chris Brown f. Julez Santana
Definitely this year's Yeah!, and perhaps with a better beat.

6. Tell Me - Bobby Valentino
Hillary loves the Bobby Valentino, but is partial to Slow Down. I still think this was the best song on the CD.

7. DOA - Foo Fighters
The whole CD was good, but this was the best of the lot from those fellas.

8. Trapstar - Young Jeezy
A favorite on the Greg Street show at night ... and I don't even really like Young Jeezy all that much.

9. I Think They Like Me (So So Def Remix) - Dem Franchise Boyz
Here's another song that I was convinced had been out forever, but the Jermaine Dupri remix infused it with new life. On a side night, the second song on my list featuring lyrics concerning someone 'liking' something/someone.

10. Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen
I'll be honest ... not really that great of a song, but it is The Boss and I love The Boss. So subpar Bruce Springsteen is better than no Bruce Springsteen at all.

11. You're Beautiful - James Blunt
I really don't want to like this song ... but it's so weird and oddly depressing, it's almost irresistable.

12. Seen It All Before - Amos Lee
Take two for Mr. Lee. Like I said, good CD.

13. Don't Cha Wanna Ride - Joss Stone
Again, not her best effort, but I like Joss Stone and this song grew on me over time.

14. You & Me - Lifehouse
Speaking of sappy, here's another cheesy, guitar-driven, made-for-WB, pop love song ... seriously, it was in the prom episode of last year's Smallville.

15. Precious - Depeche Mode
And speaking of Smallville, this song was in this year's season premiere (one would think I actually watch Smallville, but I honestly don't). I've warmed on Depeche Mode over time, and this song is pretty good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Grillz?! Man, I hate that song. "Rob a jewelry store and make me a grill" or somesuch? That's some crap lyrics. Thus, the rest of your list, while having some good songs, has been rendered obsolete by this abhorrent choice. And no mention of "Trapped in a Closet 1-156?" You're slippin' Dirty McGerty.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I mock you and your Grillz-hatin' self.

I did leave off the saga of Trapped in the Closet because it's hard to classify as a song. Plus it's too much comedy for me to label as a favorite.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home