Monday, January 30, 2006

We're famous! (sort of)

They say any publicity is good publicity, so I imagine the attention my little ole blog has been getting is, well, a good thing. Apparently, my pieces regarding redistricting in Athens has reached Atlanta Voice.US, an Atlanta blog that covers state politics (among other things). Dana Blankenhorn has promoted this blog twice - first, with regard to the Athenian blogosphere's outcry over redistricting, and the long-term impacts of our activism and the recent posts concerning The Red & Black article.

We're very much flattered, thank you. Though there are a couple of unusual assertions made by Blankenhorn, the first being that he (or she) is convinced my user name is 'JHAC.' Though I don't think a 'M' looks anything like a 'H' ... I could be wrong. Anywho, it's officially Jmac (which is a handy handle for Johnathan McGinty).

Secondly, Blankenhorn has twice inserted words or meaning into my posts. In the post concerning the netroots, there's the claim that I called Sen. Ralph Hudgens a 'tool of the Chamber.' I never said anything remotely of the sort, so there's that. The latter post concerning the article suggests that I feel the media is manipulating this story. Again, completely off the mark. The only reason I weighed in was to express my views with regard to journalism ethics, not because I think The Red & Black is some pawn in the redistricting plan. Quite the contrary actually.

There's also this assertion that the Athenian netroots are an angry sort, with my blog being an example of this. I take exception to that. I'm actually a quite relaxed and easy-going fella, as I'm sure Blankenhorn is as well. Many of my readers often feel I'm too moderate on some issues, and I have in the past railed against the self-importance some bloggers, particularly national ones, feel they have.

Some blogs may be rooted in anger, though I don't know many local ones which are (though Dan Matthews has been known to get riled up now and then). Maybe something which is a bit outside the traditional media or framework of the local party structure comes across as different, or angry, but I don't know if such a perception is reality.

Anyway, it's nice that we're picking some notice from folks like Blankenhorn. I hope they keep on coming back and checking out what we've got to say.

UPDATE: Dana was kind enough to fix my name on the original post, so many thanks for that gesture.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jmac said...

Well, I didn't mean it in a bad way. Dan's a nice fella who, for the most part, I see eye-to-eye with ideologically. He goes a little more extreme than me some times, but that's his perogative.

Still, I meant it more in a poking-fun, good-natured kinda way. If folks want to get all riled up, that's their business.

Anywho, thanks for the comment. Y'all come back now.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Cufflink Carl said...

Actually, we were the ones who called Hudgens a tool of the Chamber.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Dude, what's with people referring to themselves as "we" when they are one person?

We're very much flattered, thank you.

I think I first noticed it on Hillary's blog (I think) with the whole "team-whatever-the-crap" all the time. Is there really a team? If so, sorry. But I know you, Jmac, are but one man. Too much man for me, true, but one man all the same! Is Julie writing all clandestine-like? Have you split personalities? That would rock. Not for you, really, but for me because I could study you and publish a case study.

3:43 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

Fuck yes there is a team. The mightiness that is Team Brown.

The royal we is sometimes used as a way of giving an amused air to things. A la the queen. It is rhetorical device. Not all words must be literal.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I tend to use plural instead of singular way too much. For instance, when I say goodbye to someone - singular - I will often say 'y'all take care' ... though it's just one person.

Odd, I know.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I don't know, people. The use of the royal we is one step away from talking about yourself in the third person -- like Deion Sanders or The Rock.

Russ is gonna get all literal on yo' ass and always refer to one person with the non-royal we 'I.' Russ is one literal mofo. (And just to keep it fresh) Mr. Shearer is gonna hit that ring, throw the Big Show around like a rag doll, and take the belt home to put on Russell's mantle! Can you SMEEEELLLLLLLL -- what The Russ -- is cookin'?!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe one day you'll even get your name in the newspaper!

3:56 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I've been there, done that ... ain't what it's cracked up to be.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home