Thursday, February 23, 2006

Real work conversations

I think this promises to be quite a fascinating addition to your reading, and I'll try my darnedest to recant a pair of conversations from the past two days ...

Tuesday, February 21
Paul: Yeah, we're having some issues with one of the MFA candidates, but nothing too big though.
Me: Oh yeah, what's the problem?
Paul: He wants to use live animals in the exhibition.
Me: Oh.
Paul: Well ... ants, like in a giant ant farm that spells 'sculpture.'
Me: Yeah, that could end badly.
Paul: Yeah.

Wednesday, February 22
Me: I don't think people realize how pivotal the year 1968 was. I mean, our society, the world we live in today with regard to our attitudes and opinions, a lot of that was heavily influenced by the political upheaval of that particular year.
Carissa (nodding): You've been waiting for the talk to end for the past hour to tell me that, haven't you.
Me: A little bit.
Carissa (nodding, then to Amber the Intern): So you got those shoes at Target?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. Good times. I miss those bizarre conversations. Got anything from BAF???

11:35 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Give me time ... give me time.

Paul, though, has already contributed another entry.

12:15 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

Yeah. There was a debate this morning about whether indices are scholarly or not with BAF.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Now that was a good time.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, as a former librarian, am pro-indices in books both scholarly and non. I especially enjoy novels with indices. And footnotes. (kidding on that last bit)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

"A man who would stop to read a footnote would answer a knock on the door during his honeymoon."

4:48 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

Pshaw. Footnotes provide useful information, sometimes in very amusing form (see David Foster Wallace and Flann O'Brien for two fine examples).

7:26 PM  
Blogger Amber Rhea said...

I can't believe you work with a Carissa and an Amber. Weird.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home