Monday, March 06, 2006

Housekeeping

So I updated a couple of links over on the right, and I thought I'd run down the list for you ...

- Under 'Lend A Hand' I added Action Aid, which is an organization that combats global poverty, and War Child, which reaches out to children forced to become soliders in war-torn parts of the world.

- Lots of fun stuff under the brand spankin' new 'Sports Links' heading. We've got three Georgia athletics blogs in Georgia Sports Blog, I'm A Realist (a frequent contributor here) and Dawg Blog. Probably the three best out there, so I recommend you give a look.

Georgia Sports Blog, by the by, is absolutely fabulous. If you'd like a sampling of what you're going to get there - aside from absurdly intricate, yet fascinating breakdowns of Georgia baseball games - I'd recommend this spectacular post concerning the history of Georgia men's basketball program. When you can work Rick James, Led Zeppelin and Jim Harrick all into one post, truly you are a masterful wordsmith.

Also, with Spring Training underway, added plenty of Red Sox links. Sons of Sam Horn is a legendary site for Red Sox Nation, even if is a circa-1996 message board. Still, these fellas possess an absurd amount of knowledge. Plus this is the infamous site Curt Schilling visited as he was considering accepting a trade from Arizona to Boston over Thanksgiving weekend 2003. I'd venture to say these folks right here almost singlehandedly brought Schilling to Boston.

Had to include The Sports Guy, who is one of my favorite writers and a die-hard Red Sox fan. And be sure to check out his blog, which includes this marvelous entry concerning a TV diary from last week. It includes a ridiculous breakdown of this season of 24 - "President Palmer being assassinated in the morning, then Fox News dropping that as its lead story within four hours to concentrate on the riveting U.S.-Russia treaty (really, an assassination wouldn't carry the day?)" - and good stuff on Deal or No Deal.

I also feature Joe Posnanski, who is still my favorite sports columnist. This guy right here was the reason I decided to become a sports writer ... and I even told him that during an awkward exchange while I was in high school working at The Masters:

Me: Mr. Posnanski, I just want you to know I'm a big fan, and you're the reason I've decided to go into journalism.
Posnanski: Really? That's really cool ... though I'm kinda on deadline ... that whole Greg Norman collapsing and losing to Nick Faldo thing.
Me: Oh ... that makes sense.


In hindsight, this exchange is even more awkward since I now have the perspective of having been a sportswriter. I would have responded with 'Sweet Merciful Moses ... run child, run while you can!'

- Speaking of sportswriters, we've got two links to some mighty fine Athens Banner-Herald alumni in Marc Lancaster and C. Trent Rosecrans. Both are beat writers at the Cincinnati Post and both are damn fine journalists. I worked with both of 'em, and what I know about writing, reporting, developing contacts and the business in general comes from them.

- And finally, but definitely not the least among these, is a link to Patrick Armstrong's blog down in scenic Glynn County. He's a good centrist Democrat, and I've enjoyed his stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home