Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Couple of things

- I really don't care about the NBA - though, as an aside, it was pretty fun to watch the Los Angeles Clippers reach the Western Conference semifinals ... that's like Vanderbilt rolling into the BCS - but I do, for some unexplainable reason, get absolutely fascinated by the NBA Draft.

Maybe it's Charles Barkley's berating of every particular move or the ridiculous suits on par with the fashion statements made in Soul Plane, but it's one of the most entertaining nights of TV.

Making it even more entertaining is watching the train-wreck that is the Atlanta Hawks assemble the future of their team. Again, not that I care (really, I was a Charlotte Hornets fan until George Shinn bailed on the city and moved them to New Orleans), but I was literally shouting at the TV last year, pleading for Billy Knight to draft Chris Paul instead of Marvin Williams.

What happens? Paul, a point guard, wins NBA Rookie of the Year and Williams, a 6-foot-8 swingman, joins roughly seven other 6-foot-8 swingmen on the team and launches what is sure to be a career of mediocrity ... which will surely be reinvigorated with some other franchise (see Boris Diaw or Jason Terry).

- Jeff Walker hates puppies as well.

- Let me say this to our Democratic candidates for governor - why don't we focus our energies on Gov. Sonny Perdue rather than sling mud at each other throughout the primary. While you're squabbling over ads and loans, Perdue is putting up, literally, fictional biographies of himself all over the Atlanta market. And the maddening part is they're so easy to completely disavow that you could almost make him a walking joke by the time the general election arrives.

'Sonny did.' Did he really?

- Paulwesterdawg at Georgia Sports Blog put up the pre-game video Alabama used last year, and it's impressive. I mean, I'm no Alabama fan and I got chill bumps while watching it. Heck, if we came across a Georgia one I might black out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought I would respond to all of your posts in one comment:

1) You would think with Peter Jackson as your spokesperson Cathy Cox should have a much better commercial than her just sitting in a classroom. Where are the orcs? The hobbits? Now if I saw a commercial where my candidate for governor defeats the Dark Lord Sauron and saves Middle Earth from darkness eternal...I would have to think long and hard before casting a vote against her.

2) Congratulations on your impending trip to DC. Tell Tavis Smiley I said "HI" and tell Barack "the bagel is the oven"...he'll know what it means...man, we had some times Barack and I....

3) As soon as I saw the letters N.B.A. I immediately stopped reading so please let me know if there was something in there I needed to find out about.

4) I was HUGELY dissapointed in "24". I have forgiven the time thing before but as you mentioned there were some pretty ludicrous events happening in lightning speed. Was anyone else curious how they abducted, roughed up AND loaded Jack on a tanker bound for Shanghai in under four minutes?

Next, after such a great season, with so much tension what's the pay off? A scene where Jack bugs the President. Yipee. After we knew that Jack wasn't going to snap and just shoot the President, was there anyone on the "24" watching planet that thought Jack had failed? Of course not. We all knew he had some elaborate scheme to bring him down, most likely using some technological device. Standard M.O. for "24". Yawn.

Next, are we to believe that the President of the United States would haul the First Lady into the next room and a) reveal his whole plan, b) abuse her and c) pretty much threaten her life all while the entire White House press corps is just a hangar wall away? Puh-leaze. Then, how do they take care of this evil President, Jack's utlimate enemy this season...some agents tell him to get in a car and he does. Wow. At that point I was half expecting them to ask him to fill out some forms in triplicate before sending him to jail...now that would have been...pulse...pounding...zzzz

Yes, this was one dissapointing finale. I was, dare I say, bored. It wasn't even the top 5 or 10 episodes of the season, definitely not even close to this season's premiere. The whole episode would have been redeemed if at the end they had just killed Jack. Or when Jack says "just kill me", the Chinese guy walks over, pulls back his jacket, pulls out a gun and with the camera looking up from Jack's perspective all you see is the gun shot. Now, if Jack is dead the next seasons can be prequel seasons...go back and do a season about his infiltration into that Mexican drug lords cabal...anything. OR, the guy just shot Jack in the leg to torture him or something and you pick up next season in China. SOMETHING!

Alright, so that was obnoxiously long and if you read the whole thing let me know and I will send you a free coupon for 5 Beef N' Cheddars and Arby's.

TIM

10:11 AM  
Blogger ctrosecrans said...

i'm the same way, i love all drafts, but especially the nfl and the nba -- to me, as someone who covers college football and college basketball, the draft seems like graduation. i think it's great.

that alabama video is awesome. it's much better than the old one which had tons of the bear mumbling and you had no idea what was being said. that one is just awesome. i wish there was a uga one like it, the same kinda production value and everything. i'd be watching that bitch all the time.

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home