Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Couple of things

- Well, the speculation is finally over as Mayor Heidi Davison announced she'd seek a second term, joining three others vying for the top position in the Athens-Clarke County government. One of those three is one of the darlings of the Athenian blogosphere in Andy Rusk, who's been more than gracious enough to post both here and at Athens Politics. I like Andy, but I'm leaning strongly toward supporting Davison's re-election bid. She had a rocky first year or so, but I feel she's rebounded strongly, particularly with her launching of Partners for a Prosperous Athens and her committment to IHN of Athens.

We've also got a logjam for the District One seat with Doug Lowry, James Garland and Jim Ponsoldt. Lowry's been a declared candidate almost since Charles Carter began whispering he'd be retiring, and he's put together an impressive coalition of supporters from what I gather. Garland has been active with us local bloggers, while Ponsoldt has strong name recognition in the community. This should be the most entertaining commission race.

Though that could change once everything becomes official in District Nine, where, as of Wednesday morning, only Kelly Girtz has registered. Supposedly Chuck Jones and Alvin Sheets are going to jump into this thing as well.

- In news of the not-so-shocking kind, Georgia baseball coach Dave Perno won't be going to LSU. Perno's a good coach and all, but are we to really expect he was a serious candidate for best opening in college baseball? This is like the Notre Dame job in football, isn't it?

- Per the suggestion of one reader, I did a little research and discovered that my all-inclusive movie channel selection also means I have access to the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Encore OnDemand movies ... for free. Which means if it's currently on one of the movie channels, I can view it whenever I want. So, in the past couple of days I've added Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle, The Interpreter, House of Wax and Madagascar.

The Interpreter was, oddly, boring, while Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle had plenty of cheap laughs and was full of weird and totally random cameos (since when does Jamie Kennedy make for a high-profile cameo?). House of Wax was brutally bad and full of stars from The WB looking for a way to fill the summer (it was, however, by absolute sheer random chance, the third movie featuring Elisha Cuthbert I've seen in the past week, so I suppose that's not so bad). All in all, Madagascar and its animated self was the highlight.

Though The Wife and I began watching the first season of 24 last night (again, oddly enough, yet another Elisha Cuthbert vehicle).

- It's quite possible that Kyle at Dawg Sports may possibly be coming back around to Major League Baseball. If so, this is earth-shattering news.

- If you haven't yet, feel free to check out my mis-adventures in Washington, D.C. (where Russ is glad I wasn't killed in the shower ... seriously, the place had a whole 'first-motel-Tom-Hanks's-character-in-Big-stayed-after-being-transformed-into-a-grown-up' kinda vibe to it). But I did, however, have a very nice Saturday. Worked in the morning, went to Cali-N-Titos for lunch (Hillary is right ... the empanadas are amazing) with Matt, who proceeded to accompany me to AthFest (my first trip there ever) to see Ishues and The Renegades, returned to the house to watch the numerous movie channels and then went to Ed and Lindsey's for dinner. So that was a good day ... the following two, not so much.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for Andy!
Even though I'll support Heidi, I think it's great that he is getting his feet wet. I hope he won't quit after this race.

I wish Andy had not gotten cozy with Ed Vaughn, though. Ed's a nice enough guy but he is grossly uninformed and misinformed. Everything on his platform is either already being done, or prohibited by Georgia law, or has some serious negative consequences that he hasn't thought through. Ed seems to think that because he hasn't bothered to do any homework (like read a newspaper) that it's all some big conspiracy to keep things secret. Three times I've heard him tell a group of people that district 9 includes districts 1,2,3,4,and 8! The crowd knew better but were too embarrassed for him to bother to correct him on this most simple and basic information. He needs to just give it up because his credibility is below zero at this point. Never mind that candidates really should never hitch themselves to other candidates.

Andy should re-think this one - very bad idea.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Harold and Kumar -- great flick. I absolutely love the Jamie Kennedy scene, it's one of the more random scenes in any movie, ever.

And, may I just say, you saw Ishues?! Awesome. I bought his music on itunes a few months ago and really really like it. In fact, the last time I looked, I was the only review of his music on itunes. If you want the funny, look at what I wrote -- I was trying to be all cool and what not.

This is Russ -- Reppin' the ATH -- overandout.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Saw him by accident almost, though Hillary has talked him up. Matt and I were walking by and heard a Tallasee Road shout-out. Had to go back for that. He was good, though I was really impressed with The Renegades. Sort of like the Riff-Raff Kings, except with actual, legitimate rappers (including a kid who I swear I covered at Cedar Shoals).

Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle was funny, don't get me wrong. I mean, 'NPH wouldn't do that' might be one of the best lines in cinematic history ... OK, that may be a stretch, but still.

House of Wax, however, was rough. The final 20 minutes is incredibly messy ... literally, with wax melting everywhere. And it had Paris Hilton who delivers one of the worst acting performances in recent memory.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home