Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Audience participation

Purchasing Phil Steele's annual college football lovefest has got me jonesing for the release of NCAA Football 2007, which mercifully will be in my possession in approximately 36 days. So, with that in mind, I figured I'd open up my selected dynasty to the reading public at large.

Now, of course, I always start right off the bat with Georgia to see how unfair EA Sports has been to them (with the exception of D.J. Shockley ... they had him as the second coming of Randall Cunningham as far back as his redshirt freshman season), so there's that. But don't be mislead. Part of the challenge is to take a mid-level team to the next level and then earn a better coaching position.

So, I thought I'd get some reader input for this one.

Ground Rules

When I say mid-level team, I don't mean some college with no shot at a decent ranking or success like, say, Western Carolina. I mean I want teams who participate in competitive conferences, but haven't quite reached the threshold yet. A good example would be, say, Arizona. There's something to work with there, and you get to play in the Pac-10 so a win over a Southern Cal or Oregon is going to go a long way in helping out in the polls.

So, Syracuse? Possibly.

South Carolina State? Not so much.

The caveat is, of course, you can't choose a SEC team. I can't play Georgia for the conference championship, no matter how weird, yet fascinating, it would be to lead Mississippi State to greatness.

History

In the past, I've been North Carolina, Oregon, Northwestern and Virginia Tech. I know, I know ... I cheated a bit on Virginia Tech, but it was the first year they had Marcus Vick, and he had something like 94 speed. It was impossible to pass that up, and there wasn't a third-and-long I was unable to convert by tucking it and running. Always been partial to the whole ACC lineup, primarily because you still get Miami and Florida State in the regular season, and I still get to beat up on Georgia Tech.

Last year saw me go 10-2, 13-0 and 12-1 with North Carolina, win two national titles and load up on talent before heading off to Athens to take over Georgia.

The Options

I've been working on my short list, so here's what we got for you to choose from ...

Indiana
Middle Tennessee State
Pittsburgh
Southern Miss
Texas A&M
Virginia
Washington

As of now, I'm partial to either Southern Miss or Washington. The latter's got a decent mobile quarterback in Isiah Stanbeck to work with.

Cast your votes. See who I can guide to greatness.

3 Comments:

Blogger ctrosecrans said...

i've done navy a few times. love that paul johnson offense

but on your list, gotta go with the aggies (even though no reggie mcneal with crazy speed)

7:31 PM  
Blogger Cousin Pat said...

I've had some serious fun with Wake Forest.

But on your list, gotta go with the Aggies, too. (Mostly cause your stadium will help you get there, if NCAA 2007 is anything like the previous year.)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

I played with MTSU once because they had the crazy Pegasus-like mascot.

I would think the Aggies would be the easiest of that bunch to "turn around" because of the benefit from Kyle Field.

I vote for Southern Miss or Indiana.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home