Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Couple of things

- I trust everyone had a nice Fourth of July weekend. The Wife and I were both fortunate enough to enjoy a four-day break, complete with a weekend trip to Augusta to see my folks and lounge around by their pool. Upon return, I managed to do a little work in the yard and watch some fireworks from the comfort of my own neighborhood as Bishop Park is right down the road.

- What we should get out of this story is an educated and thoughtful discussion about the need for affordable housing in this community. Instead, we'll probably get a slew of letters from Clarke County educators and education administrators that misses the boat altogether.

- In case you're free on Wednesday, July 19, I invite you to come hear, well, me. I'm speaking at one of the Wednesday Night Supper programs at First Baptist of Athens (though the link hadn't been updated last I checked ... obviously I can't speak about the Sojourners Convention because, you know, there was that whole flooding thing). Instead, I'm speaking on faith and politics. I've already been reading up a good bit and taking some notes. I've got the basic idea of how I want to go, and now I just need to fill in some gaps.

- Remember, breaking a seven-year moratorium by test-launching long-range missiles with the potential to hit the U.S. coast 'isn't an immediate threat' ...

- I'm glad some sort of deal was worked out on District Two's fire station, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think this joint letter from concerned citizens has any merit. Northern Athens-Clarke County is vastly ignored when it comes to basic services, including that of fire protection, and it should be a top priority of the commission to change that. However, the problem with the fire station was that certain commissioners shouldn't have agreed to build a 'fancy' fire station in that area when they knew there would be a fiscal crunch. And it's not because those citizens don't need fire protection - they most surely do as the letter writers astutely point out - but rather because no station in this community needs to be that ornate. The commissioners are to blame for that as well.

Fire stations should be able to help areas respond to fires and other related emergencies. Tacking on frills such as an elaborate but rather useless clock tower shouldn't be included in the planning, regardless of the neighborhood or district they're being built in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home