Saturday, August 26, 2006

Dating myself

Being a university town, we have a fair number of college students who inquire about internships and, as a result, we employ a good number of said students. Both Hillary and I agree that we happen to have a bang-up crop of interns right now ... all of whom will probably go on and be vastly more successful than we ever will be.

Two of our interns worked over the summer for us and decided to stay on through fall, and are two personable young women. They're definitely not afraid of conversation, which is a good thing since we're a chatty office.

However, whenever we discuss music and the like, Hillary and I ultimately feel like we're 117 years old since they were, like, eight when we were in high school. So I decided to take some time and do a little research, compiling a list of songs that I enjoyed during the days of my youth from late middle school through high school. It's been kinda fun to sift back through this musical list ... and realize how awful some of my musical picks were (Letters to Cleo? Really?). Of course, most of it holds up according to my tastes today, so that's a relief.

As an up-front disclaimer - I had quite the thing for Mariah Carey in high school, but in an attempt to move on with my life and put that disturbing chapter behind me, I have omitted her songs from the list.

Please continue.

Long Way Down by The Goo-Goo Dolls

Ladyfingers by Luscious Jackson

Here and Now by Letters to Cleo

Volcano Girls by Veruca Salt

Shutterbug by Veruca Salt

J.A.R. by Green Day

Walk On The Ocean by Toad the Wet Sprocket

El Scorcho by Weezer

Waiting For Somebody by Paul Westerberg

Universal Heartbeat by Juliana Hatfield

Alive by Pearl Jam

Jimmy Olsen's Blues by Spin Doctors

I Alone by Live

Galaxie by Blind Melon

Cover of Can't Get Enough Of Your Love by The Afghan Whigs

St. Teresa by Joan Osborne with special guest Melissa Etheridge

Change by Blind Melon

74-75 by The Connells

Joy and Pain by Rob Base and EZ Rock

California Love by Tupac and Dr. Dre

Motown Philly by Boyz II Men

You're All I Need Mary J. Blige featuring Method Man

Slam by Onyx

ATLiens by OutKast

Lost Souls by Tupac (click on link for snippet)

If I Ruled The World by Nas

Since I'm having a hard time tracking more rap and hip-hop on YouTube, let me direct you to this link to a CD which sums up the majority of what was fairly popular rap and hip-hop in Augusta in the early to mid-1990s.

Russ knows what I'm talking about.

18 Comments:

Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

I met an intern from the GMOA over the summer, late one night. I think there's an embarrassing photo out there...

10:52 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

That same intern came and bought me and Jared a beer on Friday. She rules!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

The intern that bought y'all some beers is the intern I met?

She definitely seemed a nice girl. Very social.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Ahhhhhhh YEAH! The link to "Booty Mix '96" brought back all sorts of Kate Channel memories -- listening to all the Jock Jams CDs and the various booty music at her house. Fantastic.

And that time Phin Davis almost died after falling off your(?) car, which I should point out was not your fault in any way at all, seriously.

Fantastic.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is only fair to say that music during the early to mid 90s was utter and total crap, plus the fact that we lived in Augusta, and well... I can totally see where your music tastes then are coming from. I laughed for like 5 minutes at the Booty Mix 96 reference. Scott makes fun of me for having "Daisy Dukes" on my iPod... memories, man, memories.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

I just wanted to chime in and say that the Connells rock. I am not sure who in our click discovered them first (Nick Moore? Charlie Sulzycki?) but that album still rules.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

John Hatcher was a huge Connells fan -- he introduced them to me and I'm betting he "discovered" them first. He always was on the good taste side of music.

And, dang, Sansbury -- how's it going?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I think Russ has it right. I remember John Hatcher having a CD of theirs, and I had heard it on 95.1 (back when it was Channel Z or something like that).

Dayzee Dukes is an excellent reference by the way Meims ... good call. I just remember some guy in my class had a brother who was in that rap group ... he was 'Taylor Boy' who gets a shout-out in one of the verses. That's also why Augusta is mentioned in that song.

I need to add some more. I thought of some additional ones after finishing this list.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

We kickin' the flow, We kickin' the flow and it goes a little sumfin' like this...

Tag team back again
check it direct it so let's begin party on party people
come and make some noise
tag team's in the house
drop drop your drawers (?)
see there's a party over here
a party over there
wave yo' hands in the air
shake your derriere
these three words for gettin' busy
WHOOMP there it is, hit me...

That's off the top of my head, people. It's probably off a little, but I'd say that's pretty dang good considering I haven't heard that song in approximately eight years, probably.

Ah, the glorious days of mid to late 90s rap. You know it's a bad sign when I can come up with lyrics that are as good or better than most rap songs on the radio.

Excuse me, Sonny....do you know where I can f-f-fa find some booty?

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lest we not also forget Da Dip, Freak Nasty, Ride that Train, Tootsie Roll, and the often forgotten Whoot There It Is.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Hellloooooo? Meimi, did you miss the last phrase in my previous comment?

Straight out of "Whoot There It Is." But you're right -- it is oft forgotten even though that's a tragedy.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ... there was "Whoomp There It Is" by Tag Team (the song of what you speak of) by and ALSO "Whoot There it Is" by 95 South... the refrain for each sounds nearly exactly alike and I am sure there was some copyright infringement/gun fight that likely ensued.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Well-played Meims.

95 South vs. Tag Team.

Both solid choices.

Also, how could I forget For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica ... arguably one of the most badass songs ever recorded.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Or, speaking of Metallica ... Wherever I May Roam.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

It's interesting in those videos for the "there it is" songs that the stepshow moves haven't changed too greatly.

But, uh, is 'whoomp' not considered a word?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

All of you are now my bitches. Or, if you're all into the internets, you've been PWN3D!

This: "Excuse me, Sonny....do you know where I can f-f-fa find some booty?"

Is from 95 South's "Whoot, There it is." The earlier vocal stylings do belong to Tag Team, but the last sentence in my comment was 95 South's. Poseurs. Perpetrators. Wanksters.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think a discussion on early to mid 90s rap would be complete without a mention of Wrexx n' Effect's "Rump Shaker."

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops... the video can be found here. Gotta love that random saxaphone girl.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home