Monday, September 04, 2006

We're 1-0! We're 1-0!

In the tradition of Summer Soiree 2006, New York, the combo Georgia-Auburn tailgate/Boston trip and, most recently, the South Carolina-Mississippi State game, and thanks to generosity of a one Dave Akins, I'm pleased to present another running diary ...

Now we must understand that football season, particularly college football season is a big deal in the McGinty household. Ever since my days as a three-year old where I was absolutely convinced I was Herschel Walker, wasting away hours on a Saturday afternoon in the fall watching football is perhaps the best way I can think to spend my time. When The Wife and I were about to get married, on the first weekend of the college football season back in 2001, she asked if we could go to Bed, Bath and Beyond or some other nonsensical store of that ilk, to which I understandably responded 'you're kidding, right?' She countered with 'Are you going to watch football all day?' ... which I followed with 'I will spend every Satuday in autumn for the remainder of my life watching college football.'

The tone was set and somehow she decided to march ahead with that whole lifetime of love and devotion thing ... so yay for me. Now, with that little nugget of information stored in the back of your head, imagine just how fired up I was for Georgia's season opening contest against Western Kentucky this past weekend.

I mean, hell, I did a running diary on the South Carolina game. Still, as excited as I was, my enthusiasm paled compared to Ed's who was at my house at 8:15 a.m. raring to go. The sight of him pulling a Miller Lite out of his pocket that early in the morning is entertaining enough, but also a little much for me when the sun has just barely cracked the horizon.

Yet, as early as we were going, Tim and Tovrog were at it even earlier ... thanks to our new tailgating policies.

Tim and Tovrog may have made it out there at 6:45 a.m., but DAve and the other folks were in the car at that time heading from Atlanta ... so that's rather disgusting.

With Ed's buddy Chase in tow, we swing through Chic-fil-A for breakfast, as well as making a quick run to pick up some beer for the tailgate. The Wife, being of a sound fiscal mind, has the McGinty household running on a tight budget. As a result, our selection of Schaefer's Light has a direct correlation to my available capital.

You laugh now ... just wait until you marry a CPA.

Tent City, being an ever-growing and ever-expanding community, has made some necessary changes in recent months ... all of them good. Our leadership has remained the same - Matt Tovrog, we salute you good sir - but the fun factor was definitely kicked up a few notches with the inclusion of Cornhole.

As noted earlier, Cornhole was featured at Summer Soiree 2006. The set is covered in all sorts of Georgia decorations and is a good way to pass the time, particularly seeing how there was some difficulty in getting the satellite set up (it was explained to me it was something to do about location and angles and trees, but to be honest, I think zoned out).

I sat Cornhole out, instead opting to read one of two in-house Tent City publications in the Tent City Tattler ... which is a little more brief and a little more vulgar than its counterpart, the Tent City Herald. Both had their moments. The former included John Hart loving face painting, while the latter included a prediction that I'd blow my knee out at some point this year. So, you know, tough call.

Carrie and Meims, however, didn't sit Cornhole out and apparently roared through the competition.

Remember the name.

The game itself you ask? You need to know a few simple things ...

- Joe T was solid and made few mistakes;
- Matthew Stafford, however, will probably start by midseason;
- Darius Dewberry is a freakin' man;
- Mikey Henderson and Asher Allen are crazy fast;
- Chase was miserably hot and wanted to leave midway through the first quarter.

After the game, Hartman is able to get the satellite working and for that he is a hero to us all, particularly with California at Tennessee and Notre Dame at Georgia Tech approaching us.

'Hartman, I stand corrected ... you are an oak.'

Now, we briefly return to all of those tailgating rules which were instituted over the offseason. They were done, primarily, in response to the aftermath of the Auburn at Georgia game from last year, where North Campus was left in shambles. I personally think it's an overreaction to the problem, but that ship has kinda sailed I suppose.

Being good law-abiding citizens both before and after the rules were put in place, we do all that we can to clean up our trash, not encroach on nearby tailgates, etc. Such sanity, however, cannot be said of all tailgates.

Because just across Sanford Drive from us was a group of individuals who proceeded to dump their still burning charcoal into a cardboard trash can and then leave. Now, I didn't major in chemistry, but I do know that smoldering timbers will ignite dry cardboard, so I'm not shocked when the side of the box peels away in flame.

This, understandably, brings the cops and fire department out.

I mean, seriously.

Burning trash bins aside, it appeared to be a successful first tailgate. Meims brought something called 'Cherrishinskis' which are, quite literally, little red fruit balls of hell. I ate a lot of junk food and even The Wife stopped by in the afternoon.

That's a good time. Let's say we do it again, oh, at least six more times this home season.

4 Comments:

Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Do y'all always set up in the Myers Quad?

2:22 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Typically, just to the side of it. Sort of in between the parking deck and the quad, in front of Mary Lyndon (?).

8:52 AM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Yeah, that's Mary Lyndon Hall. Not too bad a spot!

But, of course, I guess you already know that.

11:57 AM  
Blogger ctrosecrans said...

schaefer's light? might as well leave a glass of water outside for a month and drink that

that said, i love me some cornhole -- i need to get me a custom painted uga set before i leave the cornhole capital of the world

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home