Monday, October 23, 2006

Couple of things

- Let's just say that I'm getting my resume together.

- In what was a surprising (and, to me, welcome) sight, the Athens Banner-Herald endorsed Heidi Davison for re-election to Athens-Clarke County mayor. I was convinced they were going to opt for either Tom Chasteen or Charlie Maddox, probably Chasteen. The editorial actually had rather strong words of criticism for Maddox:

If there is one candidate in this race who is proving to be something of a disappointment, it's Charlie Maddox, who is billing himself as the one candidate who will represent all of the people of Athens-Clarke County. The trouble is, Maddox seems a bit short on ideas as to just what he would do in the mayor's office to make sure the wide variety of voices in the community are heard.


- The Banner-Herald endorses Doug Lowry in District One and Kelly Girtz in District Nine. I'm not entirely sold on Lowry, but I think Girtz is a pretty good choice.

- Listen, don't blame big business or the media for the glorification of high school athletes ... they're merely following the precedent set by local businesses, some unscrupulous teachers, win-at-all-cost coaches and area boosters, as shown in the book Friday Night Lights. I, fortunately, never encountered any of the like during my time covering high school athletics, but my conversations with coaches, parents and colleagues helped show me that such attitudes did exist in other parts of the country.

5 Comments:

Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

life just good

7:41 AM  
Blogger DAve said...

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress.

Well, at least he's being honest with his backtracking. For a politician, that's huge.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Al_Davison said...

I'm with Charlie? This fish stinks from the head down!

This guy has no message, no plan, no knowledge of local government, and is not particularly bright but he does have something that none of the other candidates have - a Brinks truck full of Republican special interest money!

This thing smells exactly like the Mike Wiggins campaign. It is a blatant attempt to enforce the golden rule - the people with all the gold want to make all the rules.

It's disgusting on every level!

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

To be fair to Maddox, I've heard that he's going to go into more detail regarding what he'd specifically like to do if elected. It is more than a bit late in the game to be doing this, however, I suppose better late than never.

11:54 AM  
Blogger DAve said...

Ha! Um, that Luci up there? Yeah, that's me. Don't ask.

DAve

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home