Monday, December 18, 2006

Unleash the oddity

So, Hillary wants me to reveal six weird things, to which I say ... only six?

1. When I was a child, my elementary school would do the 'Star Student of the Week' in which one student from each class got to be profiled and featured outside the door. You got to fill out a questionnaire, and one of the questions was 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' All of the kids wanted to be a football player or a fireman or something of the like. Me? I wrote down that I wanted to be a hardware man since my dad, at the time, ran a hardware store.

2. I have a set way I brush my teeth, which includes a rinsing process that I've done almost every day since I was in middle school. It's not OCD or anything since I do, on occasion, not follow said routine. But it's a habit, which is mighty odd.

3. In all honesty ... I really don't care about Major League Baseball. I love the Red Sox, and I want the Braves to do well, but outside of that, I'm rather indifferent.

4. I used to struggle with a stutter when I was a kid, but have been able to put it behind me through lots of hard work. Only one word continues to hinder me. That word? McGinty. My last name. Interesting, no?

5. I don't sneeze just once or twice. About 27 times in a row is more like it.

6. I hated the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which blows the minds of most of my friends. I found them too long, too preachy, too full of cheesy acting and way too full of overly dramatic dialogue. Yet, I have always found Red Dawn to be one of the best movies I've ever seen.

OK ... now let's tag Xon, Russ and Pasqua and Stanicek.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ryanetics said...

hahahahaha have you seen Red Dawn recently? I loved it as a kid - I thought it was so badass and full of wish fulfillment about kids being the heroes - but I watched it last year and was so depressed. The movie that I found so inspiring in my youth was really just a shitty commercial for Reagan foreign policy and is packed with ridiculousness - let's just start with the fact that there were an equal number of Cubans as there were Russians in order to invade and divide America in two. Where were they keeping all of these hidden Cubans? Were they growing them in undersea labs or something because that island is like the size of New Jersey.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

Actually, I alwasy interpreted Red Dawn to be an anti-war movie, particularly as a commentary on the folly of Vietnam. The disillusionment of the invaders at the end, such as in the forlorn letter the Cuban commander writes home to his wife, matches well with American disillusionment in the 60s and 70s. And the American freedom fighters are just doing what any people would do if their homeland was invaded...this hardly serves as an endorsement of Reaganism. I remember Murray Rothbard, libertarian extraordinaire (and no fan of Reagan), writing a positive review of it that I read somewhere once.

3:52 PM  
Blogger TKAthens said...

After reading #s 3 and 6 Mr. McGinty consider our friendly relationship terminated.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

If you recall correctly, many South American countries had fallen to Stalinist Communism and joined Cuba and the Soviet Union in the invasion. Go back and watch the Powers Boothe scene where he breaks down how the invasion happened.

Awesome. Though I always felt it was highly illogical that Europe would 'sit this one out' ...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Red Dawn rocks. That's all there is to it. I saw it for the first time as an "adult."

I think we need an addendum for number 1 because that's not odd at all to want to do what your father does. We need weird, McGinty!

I shall think on this and write my own, shortly.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

Just want to chime in here- Red Dawn does rock. I recently won $20 from a friend who thought it was just the Russians invading. Also- I am pretty sure that it is famous for being the first PG-13 movie.

And- it is destined to be re-made soon. The Sansbury brothers recently were debating who to cast in the re-make....

10:39 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

I thought Temple of Doom was the first PG-13 movie.

To IMDB!

.......

Ah, ToD was only rated PG. This means, via somewhat shaky logic, that you are right, Sansbury!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I recently won $20 from a friend who thought it was just the Russians invading.

This is one of the better things I've heard in a while, and reaffirms C. Trent's belief that life is more interesting when you fill it with little, meaningless bets ... that is, unless of course, you have an actual gambling problem.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home