Thursday, March 01, 2007

I know famous people

In a truly weird turn of events, Dwight Pope, an old high school buddy of mine, is going to be competing on Pros vs. Joes tonight at 10 p.m. on Spike TV. Dwight was pretty athletic back in high school, being an All-State catcher and all.

But this isn't the first time he's been on national TV for his athletic achievements. A few years back he was one of a handful of amateur golfers who defeated John Daly in a long-drive contest on ESPN 2 and won a ridiculous sum of money.

So watch him tonight ... if he's got to play hockey, it should be pretty funny.

6 Comments:

Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

That freakin' ROCKS! Does this mean we're famous by proxy? I HAVE to remember to watch this. I love that show anyway, but with D on there it will be a fungasm.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

D Pope? That is awesome!
I remember back in the old days when we were hooping it up and trying to "Burn Burns". Ah, the good ole days...

2:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just found your site through Google after seeing "Dwight Pope from Georgia" on Pros vs. Joes. That's pretty cool. It said he was a coach. Where/what does he coach?

11:35 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Dwight freakin' won! Awesome. Man, he needs to do some cardio, though. He was huffin' and puffin' in that last Hail Mary event.

When did his drawl become so heavy? Dang.

Classic D, though. He referred to himself as "White Chocolate," he did the worm, he was gracious, and he didn't really talk any unecessary smack like the other finalist -- man, that guy was a tool.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I had a buddy DVR it for me since I missed it last night (dang it), but I watched the recap online this morning.

Remember when Dwight was fast? He was, like, the fastest guy we had outside of Phin Davis. The sheer volume of basketball we'd play on trips to Rock Eagle or Epworth was ridiculous.

Rightonpeachtree, I'm not sure where he's coaching at? I last saw about a year or so ago at a friend's wedding, and at the time he was working in sales for The Macon Telegraph (I think). I'm not sure where he is now. I'm trying to find his email through some folks.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Jason Sansbury said...

Yeah, D used to have some wheels. I think all the years of catching probably caught up with him at some point...

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home