Saturday, March 24, 2007

Two sports items

Haven't done much with sports lately, so here's this ...

- As usual, Spring Training is flying by me and Opening Day is just a few weeks away. And, it what is very welcome news, the Red Sox moved Jonathan Papelbon back to the closer role. I never understood why Boston wanted to move the best young closer in the game - a guy who has the potential to be as good, if not better, than Mariano Riveria - into the starting rotation. After the signing of Daisuke Matsuzaka, the Red Sox were able to assemble a rotation of three high-level starters in Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett and Dice-K, and Tim Wakefield's good for 12 to 15 wins each year. Moving Julian Tavarez into the starting rotation at the No. 5 slot isn't the ideal situation, but this is also a spot where Jon Lester could emerge later in the season if he regains his strength following his off-season battle with cancer.

- I was able to squeeze nine holes in at Lane Creek Golf Club yesterday afternoon with Matt, and, despite having not swung a club in several months, I played as well as I've played in years. I shot 51 which, arguably, isn't good, but it's pretty good for me seeing how I typically shoot 110 to 115 over 18 holes. The reason for such high scores is two-fold - I don't play regularly and when I do, my swing is a mismash of odd adjustments I've made over the years. Determined to seek honest-to-goodness help, fellow IHN of Athens board member Leo Scott (former Cedar Shoals basketball and golf coach) worked with me on a variety of things. As a result, I set out Friday afternoon to only use those things he taught me, knowing that, as he suggested, my score would probably be higher (if that's possible) since I would be fighting my old habits. My first swing of the day producing a beautiful drive right down the middle of the fairway. I had some struggles along the way, but even my bad shots felt better.

4 Comments:

Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

Awesome. I'll be playing golf net weekend, but you couldn't have picked a more beautiful weekend for it.

2:14 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Got out to the range yesterday and hit most of my clubs rather well (for me at least) ... except for my seven-iron. I looked like an eight-year-old out there hitting low screamers with it.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Trey said...

RE: Papelbon

The concern was over the injury he sustained to his shoulder late last season. It is believed, much like the situation with John Smoltz, that starting is actually less strenuous than closing. So, Papelbon may have less shoulder troubles if he returned to the starting rotation where he was originally. How that makes sense, I don't know, but it seems to have worked out for Smoltz. Hopefully, Papelbon will be able to fully recover from his shoulder ailment and not become Mark Prior 2.0.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

... hopefully Papelbon will be able to fully recover from his shoulder ailment and not become Mark Prior 2.0.

I'm just going to act like that was never said.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home