Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Chase Street thing

Not much time for blogging this morning with some work responsibilities, as well as IHN of Athens ones too. But I did want to take a few minutes and offer some late comments regarding J.T.'s take on Chase Street Elementary.

Needless to say that while I like J.T., I think he and the staff are a bit off on this one. I fail to see how increased participation from parents, even new ones, has the potential to harm other students. Not only is that not the way public schools are set up, but it also neglects to see that a revitalized PTO has the very real possibility to lift everyone in that school.

Parents who are making this kind of concerted effort obviously desire to see the school and and all of its students succeed, and not just a handful of them. If the latter was the case, they would be entering them in the school choice lottery or exploring moving to another county or enrolling them in private school.

And the actions taken by this group of Chase Street Elementary parents is exactly the mindset that The Wife and I have regarding our child. We are zoned for Timothy Road Elementary, and, as of now, are committed to finding folks who will have children Emma Kate's age, send them to Timothy and become engaged.

3 Comments:

Blogger Flannery O'Clobber said...

I think JT's opinion in this case is total shit. Mainly because the language it uses is prejudicial -- "gentrifying"? WTF?

Let me point out that Chase Street isn't at its current state because of "gentrification" of the neighborhood -- it's in its current state because the affluent and middle-class people who live there already abandoned the school about 10 years ago. Kudos to those who want to return.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stuff like this just leaves me speechless. Which is appropriate since what the school board wants is for people like me to STFU and be happy with whatever they serve. The arrogance would be unbelievable if I hadn't lived through it a few times before.

I'm though doing time as a champion of lost causes. Good luck JMac.

DECON

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stuck it out in the Clarke County Schools for 4 years with my child. Great teachers at Whit Davis. Really great teachers, but the social problems were affecting my kid, and we could afford private, so this year she is at a private school. Some kids will be alright staying in the public schools, and some will not. You will have to make the call for your kid when the time comes. I am sure you will do what is best for your individual child. Believe me, I never thought I would put my kid in a private school, but I have to do what is right for her. -mycena

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home