Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Going roundabout

Something about this thing bugs me.

I would have backed the T-shaped intersection largely because future traffic estimates show that the number of vehicles on that road will increase and the appropriate infrastructure is necessary to accommodate such a load (and, quite frankly, I think we're lacking in some appropriate traffic infrastructure in this town). But I also back it because that's what the residents of the area - those who use this intersectiond day-in and day-out - ultimately wanted.

Which is why I can respectfully disagree with Kelly Girtz over this matter, but get a little more rankled by Carl Jordan's suggestion that we, well, basically ignore the wishes of the residents. An elected official, yes, should provide leadership and guide the community toward the appropriate path, but he or she must also be responsive to the needs and concerns of those who elected him or her.

Andy Herod and Doug Lowry heeded the wishes of their constituents, and that's appropriate.

It should also be noted the transportation experts here endorsed the T-shaped intersection and not the roundabout, which makes Jordan's backing of the latter even more puzzling.

4 Comments:

Blogger ACCBiker said...

I don't know what the right answer is. It seems like the tried and true solution of a traffic signal is a safe bet. But a roundabout would certainly add an interesting mix to the overall transportation network.

IN my reading of the agenda item, the "transportation experts" seemed to be mixed on the answer as well. The agenda said that a roundabout would work in the near future though would not completely work for a full 20 years. Does anyone really believe that any solution designed today will be able to last 20 years?

9:51 AM  
Blogger TKAthens said...

got to say...that when I was growing up in Maryland they started implementing roundabouts and it was met with strong opposition...but after a few months of people getting the hang of it, traffic flowed great and accidents were nil. This is all with the caveat that the roundabout has to be regulated properly - in Maryland it was one lane and cars outside the circle yielded to cars inside the circle...up in Danielsville its the opposite (inside yields to outside) which is completely idiotic.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I'm not dissing the roundabout. I'm dissing the roundabout there since that area's going to continue growing and be forced to deal with the growth of some of the neighboring counties too.

I think roundabouts can be useful, but I'm not entirely sure where in this community.

Paveplanet, I'd rather us plan for those scenarios 20 years down the road. Much of our transportation infrastructure is being taxed. It frustrates me greatly that it takes me 20 minutes to get from my house in the center of town out to the Eastside if I'm heading out Highway 78.

That's ridiculous for a community our size.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

What about the two significant roundabouts in Hilton Head? They seem to work just fine for that amount of development...

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home