Thursday, November 08, 2007

Couple of things

- It got kinda lost in our discussion of the new tethering ordinance, but the Athens-Clarke County is to be commended for passing distance waivers that set up a special process for businesses to apply to serve alcohol near schools and churches. It's a good amendment to the alcohol ordinance that is not only fair to busineses, but also sets up a mechanism to regulate establishments which misuse the special use permit.

- The Athens Banner-Herald has an editorial on the tethering ordinance that reaches roughly the same point I do.

- It took an additional day, but a podcast has been recorded. Some fine work if I do say so myself, and it includes a Food Tasting Challenge in the opening minutes.

- As someone who rolled through five-plus bags of candy, including my stash to take to work the following day, I feel Jack and Mary Munnell's pain. However, many of those who get shuttled in to different neighborhoods come from lower-income ones where some folks don't offer candy or it may not be terribly safe to trick-or-treat. In the end, it's one night and it makes kids happy, so I can dole out Snickers and Nestle Crunch for a few hours.

- Rep. Earl Erhart talks Glenn Tax at Peach Pundit, and despite our vast ideological differences, he oughta be commended for engaging folks in discussion on it. Over there I raise what I think is a relatively valid point ... that is, if local control is the top concern for most folks (it is for me) and advocates of the bill support a system of taxation based on consumption and not assets, then why not let individual counties hold referendums to determine if they wish to go the property tax route or sales tax route (or perhaps an entirely different route altogether)? Doing so would arguably strip away the legitimate concern about the state government consolidating power, would it not?

- This is terribly alarming, though I think it's too simple to say some veterans were 'forgotten.' The stress of war, as we've already seen in some extreme instances, is very powerful and can have a profound impact on one's life. For what it's worth, I'm familiar with New Directions and it's a top-notch organization. I'd recommend you checking it out and supporting if you can.

- I'm going to have to go see the Hawks play this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading Earl's comments on Peach Pundit leaves me wondering if he is too dumb to realize that he is either wrong or lying or if he is evil enough to carry Glenn's water as a kind of Dick Cheney wannabe.

He either has a lot of guts, a lot of nerve, a lot of ambition, or sh*t for brains for posting on PP. Maybe it's all of the above.

Maybe he wants to be the Tax Apostle Paul to Glenn's Tax Jesus.

The only good I can see out of this is that Earl will exit along with Romeo Stache Tax Jesus or, we're all going to hell in a handbasket so it won't matter.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home