Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Couple of things

- This is a rather interesting article, and I'm glad that Cedar Shoals head football coach Scott Wilkins decided to clarify the story. Having known Wilkins for almost a decade now, and having covered Cedar Shoals athletics for roughly five years at the Athens Banner-Herald, I knew there was more to this story. Wilkins runs a tight ship, and he's got good coaches and good kids. In particular, when I saw the name Taylor Pass, I knew something was really off because, though I don't know him personally, I know a lot of folks who do and his reported actions seemed to be quite out of character. The Athens-area schools have long had problems going to face Atlanta city schools, and a litany of coaches and players, former and current, would back that up, so Wilkins's story makes sense to me.

- I talked about this a few days back, but this seems like it would be a good component of a comprehensive water conservation plan (again, not a drought management plan) if it's done right. It's early in this discussion, but I'll be interested to see where the commission goes with this.

- I'd agree that the data is interpreted kinda oddly, but it's good nonetheless to see that Athens-Clarke County is one of the safest cities in the country again.

- We roll on with The Safe As Houses Water Challenge ... and we're on pace come in more than 40 percent lower than what an average two-person household should use in a 30-day period, which is good. I'd like to see us go lower, but it's hard when you've still got to wash clothes and dishes (even if you do it just once a week or so).

- Continuing odd college football rants, I don't get this Les Miles-to-Michigan thing. I mean, I get that Miles, who has Michigan connections, would want to go back to Michigan. That's one thing. However, if you watch ESPN or listen to Collin Cowherd (and, really, why should you), you'd think that coaching Michigan is vastly better than coaching LSU, which I think is ridiculous. There's more pressure and more scrutiny at the former, which isn't even as prestigious of a position as it used to be. Much is being made of Michigan being a 'national program' but to that I counter that LSU won the national title in 2003, is currently ranked No. 1 in the nation, has garnered Top Five recruiting classes rather consistently over the past five years, plays in the most intimidating stadium in the country and returns a young quarterback who could emerge as one of the best players in the Division I-A next season. Why would you want to leave that to go to Michigan?

- Then again, I don't think Miles is really that good of a coach.

- One more college football thing, Chip Towers lays out a hypothetical situation that would lead Georgia to play for the national title. I don't think it's incredibly likely for a variety of reasons, but my point in highlighting this is ... read the comments and meet a lot of terribly stupid people.

- I concur.

- Democratic Senate candidate Rand Knight responds to some good-natured ribbing at Tondee's Tavern, and also reveals that he thinks he can beat Saxby Chambliss. I think folks should randomly give me cash, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home