Friday, May 27, 2005

The finest of mid-90s Dirty South

Our most recent post got me thinking about the lost art of Southern bass rap, perfected by artists like 69 Boyz and 95 South. So with that fresh in my mind, her's a list of some of the best songs from that particular genre (if I close my eyes, I feel like I'm a junior in high school again ... ):

Nasty Dancer - Kilo
Show Me Love - Kilo
Rodeo - 95 South
Ooh Lawd (Party People) - DJ Smurf
Get Retarded - K.J. & Da Fellas
Boom! I Got Your Boyfriend - MC Luscious
Quadism - (Unknown)
Ride 'Em Cowboy - Another Style
Kitty-Kitty - 69 Boyz
Tootsie Roll - 69 Boyz
Dickey Ride - Southern Playas
Shake Whatcha Mama Gave Ya - Poison Clan

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Meh, west side owns all.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

That's a whole different ballgame there Matt. One can't argue with the greatest rapper of all-time ... the late Tupac Shakur.

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh ... this brings back memories.
One of the highlights of the first pep rally of the school year was finding out what the new song of the moment was going to be.
You found this out because either A)the dance team had a polished, slightly dirty routine they performed to said track or B)the football team had turned the title into its catch phrase and this usually came out when one of the seniors gave some ridiculous speech punctuated by the words.
It was always, always dance rap.
I sound like I'm talking down about the whole thing, but it actually is a fond memory.
Now if I had only realized as an innocent youngster that almost all of those songs were double entendres ...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Amen to that tay ...

Our high school adopted 'Here Come The Hotsteppers' during our state title run in basketball in '95.

Scary.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home