Monday, June 20, 2005

True, true

Matthew Yglesias is, by far, my favorite blogger. And not just because he's a good centrist Democrat who's a lot smarter than me ... but also because of things like this.

The comments that follow concerning 'TomKat' or as I like to refer to them - 'Crulmes' - are funny. My favorite one being:

Anyway, I much rather think about freeing Katie in dramatic commando fashion. Lots of rappelling, my wise-cracking friend holding off Scientologist hordes with a hand-held M-60 while I go one on one with the 75 million year old alien spirit who had recently been possessing Tom Cruise (whose physical body succumbed during the first round of our epic bout). After I defeat the alien spirit with my buddhist fist, my wise-cracking friend will appear with a pilfered Huey and I will carry an unconscious and unviolated (thanks to our commando heroics) Katie in one arm while firing my .44 magnum pistol at Travolta and Kirstie Allie.

But Yglesias brings up a good point ... what TV show do you identify with the most from your youth? He, being in his early 20s, argues for Dawson's Creek, but I don't know about that. That said, I didn't really get into the Beverly Hills 90210 thing either. I do love Buffy, but that wasn't until my sophomore year in college.

Tough call.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't that similar to the library raid of the Spanish Club in high school?

-Bryan

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think many people identify with The Simpsons more than they realize, from our age group.

I probably most identify, as a television show, with Doctor Who. It's a pity we don't get the shows (legally) over here in the southern United States of America.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Nice story reference to BRheal ... Xon crashing through the ceiling window was my favorite.

8:37 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

Identify? You mean, see yourself in the characters? Or like the most? Or see as characteristic of your generation? And what does "youth" encompass?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Hmm ... Yglesias said identify, but that does seem weird since there probably isn't any TV show I identify with. I mean I loved Buffy, but it's hard to identify with a teenage girls battling hell beasts.

Perhaps associate? A show depicting characters close to your age that you watched because, well, a lot of them were close to your age. That's what Yglesias was getting at, I think.

Still ... I got nothing. I watched Buffy in college, so that wipes out high school references I suppose. I mean, I loved Friends and Mad About You, but it ain't like I was remotely close in age to those folks.

I probably identify more with Mad About You now than I did then.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home