Monday, June 06, 2005

Some interesting things ...

Come across a couple of interesting items the past few days ...

• The New York Times tells us that the hyper-rich are a lot better off than you and me, though I suppose we already knew that. It's the latest in their series analyzing class in America, and is quite interesting.

• Armando at Daily Kos, after defending moderate Democratic senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska, takes issue with some statements from NOW president Kim Gandy, who remarked:

"The Democratic Party can't seem to decide whether it wants to be Republican Lite." Calling out liberal figures like John Kerry (for saying we need to elect more pro-life Democrats), the left evangelical Rev. Jim Wallis (the previous speaker, for his support of "faith-based" initiatives), and Bono (for "crossing the line" to seek collaboration on Africa with pro-lifers), she said this: "If this is what it means to be a big tent...then I say let's keep the skunk out of the tent."

OK, Gandy's a moran ... a short-sighted moran. But that's a whole different story. Glad that Armando took some issue with her statements, while appreciating the need for discussion on these issues. His defense of Nelson - which, logically enough, amounted to saying Nebraska is a conservative state so a conservative Democrat makes sense - was gutsy and, of course, elicted tons of irrational responses from the Kos Community. I'm a partisan Democrat more often than not, but ideological purity at all costs frustrates me.

• Fresh from his brand spanking new blog, Matthew Yglesias comments on the commentary surrounding the Koran abuse allegations, and offers this gem:

It's all been said before, but it bears endless repetition -- it's a strange form of moral clarity indeed which argues that America's conduct in the world should be judged in accordance with the lowest depths of human depravity.

Been meaning to post something I've already written about the Newsweek fiasco ... could do that soon.

• Speaking of Newsweek, the departing Baghdad bureau chief is all over the situation on the ground in Iraq. Scathing stuff:

The four-square-mile Green Zone, the one place in Baghdad where foreigners are reasonably safe, could be a showcase of American values and abilities. Instead the American enclave is a trash-strewn wasteland of Mad Max-style fortifications. The traffic lights don't work because no one has bothered to fix them. The garbage rarely gets collected. Some of the worst ambassadors in U.S. history are the GIs at the Green Zone's checkpoints. They've repeatedly punched Iraqi ministers, accidentally shot at visiting dignitaries and behave (even on good days) with all the courtesy of nightclub bouncers--to Americans and Iraqis alike. Not that U.S. soldiers in Iraq have much to smile about. They're overworked, much ignored on the home front and widely despised in Iraq, with little to look forward to but the distant end of their tours--and in most cases, another tour soon to follow. Many are reservists who, when they get home, often face the wreckage of careers and family.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jmac said...

First of all, bonus points for spelling 'labour' ...

Second, I think we'll have to disagree on this matter. When it comes to finding candidates that are electable, I think you have to look at the state/community they are coming from. A Democrat from New England is bound to be substantially more liberal than a Democrat from the Midwest or the South (and by that I mean with regard to representation to an entire region, not so much individually as they are very liberal Democrats in the South and very conservative Democrats in New England).

I think the party has plenty of room for a variety of views and that we shouldn't focus on single-issues or hot-button issues which can divide us. I've said there is much pro-lifers and pro-choicers can agree on and work on productively within the Democratic Party, but they often end up squabbling over rhetoric and what-not.

With regard to faith-based initiatives, seeing that I work for a faith-based organization, I'll have to admit I'm biased. But then again, I do suppose ours is a tad different in the sense that we don't seek to convert anyway. I've always gone back and forth on how to handle the faith-based initiative card knowing the successes we've had and how much more good we could do if we had access to more money. At the same time, I enjoy the fact that, if we choose to do so, we would have the freedom to allow our churches (which include 14 Christian churches, a Unitarian congregation and the Ba'hais) to share their faith with them. So I'm torn.

But I guess I don't see it as an either-or. Perhaps I'm naive, but I think there's a possible compromise here which could really make everyone happy.

I'm puzzled on the labour laws criticism though. I can concede the equal opportunity laws as, admittingly, some fundamentalist Christian churches would bristle at a non-Christian working there. But I don't know of other specific labour issues you allude to.

And I've got to wholly disagree with you over the Bono criticism. I don't exactly know how you can think he has his 'head-in-the-sand' when it comes to issues like AIDS and poverty in Africa. I can't think of another celebrity (in the non-political and non-religious vein) who has brought more attention to the plight of that continent. Granted we need to do much more over there - the crisis in Darfur is horrible, for instance - but I don't think that's a fair criticism.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnathan, it's 'moron'.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

You're a moran Charles!

Er, moron.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home