Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Movie Galore

I'm about to let you in on a most unusual secret — I don't really enjoy watching movies. This is unusual because, for a large portion of my time in college, I wanted to become a screenwriter. Heck ... I still want to become a screenwriter. So it's not so much that I don't enjoy movies, but rather that I don't enjoy investing the necessary two hours to watch a movie. Guess I'm all about maximizing my time, or something.

So it's quite remarkable that the wife and I have doubled as Ebert and Roper the past week.

Sideways - Been wanting to see this since the hoopla surrounding the Academy Awards. I liked it, and Paul Giamatti was absolutely wonderful in it. The film is the perfect mix of screwball comedy and a thorough examination of disturbingly deep depression ... so kudos to them for pulling that off. A little too much unexpected full frontal male nudity for my taste, but few movies are perfect.

Meet the Fockers - Did you like the first one? Watch it again. This is the same thing plus Dustin Hoffman acting obnoxious and a little humping dog.

In Good Company - Excellent. Did a superb job capturing what it must feel like to be a 51-year-old who is sort of at the end of the career line and all of a sudden has a boss half of his age ... and also what it feels like to be a 26-year-old who is all of a sudden put in the position of managing men and women who are twice his age. A lot heavier than I thought. Good stuff all the way around. Got two thumbs up from the wife and I.

Spiderman - Never saw the original three years ago, and Tivoed it from TBS. Was pretty good. I don't know if I'd call it the 'best superhero movie ever made' as some reviewers have said, but it was strong. It's hard to beat Superman and Superman II, but it was strong. The best part of the film, as the reviewers did rightly note, was the internal struggles Peter Parker had to go through as he was given this extraordinary gift. Most superheroes just pursue truth, justice and the American way like it's no big deal ... and Spiderman really attempted to give some analysis to the conflicts and fears Parker had to endure.

So ... what have you seen lately?

6 Comments:

Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

We saw Monster: a pity party for a serial killer. But it wasn't too bad.

We saw Calendar Girls: Old ladies gettin' naked. It was good AND SEXY! Heh. It was more about their relationships than the nakedness, but they made it funny enough to be watchable.

We saw The Aviator: It was awesome. The acting was very well done and DiCaprio can do mentally ill very well -- in Gilbert Grape, in Basketball Diaries, and in this flick he was pretty spot-on. I'd recommend this one highly.

We saw Team America: World Police: Hilarious. I didn't think this would be as good as it is, but they manage to poke fun at everyone in funny ways. Some really great lines, too.

8:48 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

What would you rather do with those two hours? That's the question I want answered.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I just can't seem to get excited to watch The Aviator ... just seems boring to me, don't know why. Now Team America looks funny and, as Russ and I have discussed before, it possesses an excellent theme song.

Now how could I spend those two hours ...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

I refuse to watch the Aviator, or anything else starring the Weasel.

But I'm a snob for the people.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Pauly Shore wasn't in the Aviator, Xon. But it would be a much better movie if he had been. Buhhhhdee!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I have a dislike for leonardo too. Sideways was great. Spiderman was good too, much better than the sequel.

Hitch is a decent movie. Does a little too much moralizing towards the end, but so do all American movies.

Closer is also interesting, but confusing due to the random time changes. If they would have just stuck in a date every time 6 months passed, it would have been fine. Two characters meet in one scene, and in the next they've been married and divorced twice.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home