Thursday, December 08, 2005

Changing horses

Until about four minutes ago, I favored Reggie Bush for the Heisman Trophy. But one column has completely changed my mind on this matter, so for that I give props to Pete Fiutak at FoxSports.com for this piece convincing me that Vince Young is the best player in college football.

The whole thing was very compelling, but the part that sealed the deal for me was this:

9. ... Young leads the nation in pass efficiency ... as well as yards per attempt averaging 9.72 yards on every throw. Young isn't just an improved passer ...

8. ... he's still one of college football's best runners.
Young might not have the Gale Sayers-like moves of Reggie Bush, but he's every bit the home-run hitter. Remember, not only are we talking about a player who's the nation's best passer this year, we're talking about a guy who has 850 rushing yards and nine touchdowns. While the Heisman isn't a career award, it's interesting to note that Bush has 3,087 rushing yards and 24 touchdown runs in 38 games, while Young, and remember, he's a quarterback, has rushed for 2,927 yards and 34 touchdowns in 36 games.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. Saw the Fresno State-USC game highlights. That was it for me. Reggie Bush wins the Heisman.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Cufflink Carl said...

Also, in the opinion of at least one person I trust, Young is going to win the national championship. I'm not so sure he's wrong about that.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I'm with you on that. I don't think USC has enough on defense to match up with Texas, though I think the Longhorns will have the best defense the Trojans have seen all year.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home