Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Odds and ends

It's been a while since I've done this ...

- The Athens Banner-Herald has the latest fundraising numbers for the 2006 elections, and it shows Tom Chasteen and Charlie Mattox far in the lead of contributions. Chasteen is understandable, but Mattox? Wow. I know he's got some good contacts and stuff, being the head of the Department of Labor and all, but he hasn't exactly aired any of his views yet in the public arena. Our boy Andy Rusk has raised just a hair under $200, putting him in last so far (though he didn't include his monies from Friday night's event ... I gave him the requested $5 for what it's worth).

- Went and saw The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe last night. I liked it very much, thank you. I never got into the whole Lord of the Rings thing, primarily because I wasn't a fan of the books growing up, so the trilogy was a bit lost on me. Not to say it was bad or anything, just not my bag. I did, however, love the Narnia series, and the movie didn't disappoint. It dragged a bit in the beginning, but once the kids actually got into Narnia, the whole thing picked up. The final half an hour was quite impressive.

My only real critique was they changed one of my favorite lines from the book just slightly enough where it irked me. In the book, Lucy asks Mr. Thomas if Aslan is 'safe' and Thomas replies 'he isn't safe, but he is good.' In the movie, 'safe' is changed to 'tame' and Lucy finishes the sentence. I know, I'm nit-picking, but our pastor devoted his most sermon to this particular exchange, so I was a bit letdown upon seeing it on film. Still ... a minor problem ... movie still rocked.

- Everyone give a hand to Cedar Shoals boys basketball coach Ron Link who picked up his 500th career win last night. I worked with him for the better part of three years, and I liked him quite a bit. Took the Jaguars to the Elite Eight in my last year as prep sports editor (a year which saw current Georgia football standout Quentin Moses pick up my basketball player of the year honors ... kid scored 40 points and pulled down 16 boards in an upset of No. 2 South Atlanta), and they reached the Final Four the following year.

- Bertis Downs doesn't care for the Banner-Herald's tone ... and, he may have a point. The editorial in question was a tad critical.

- Hey, Georgia hearts the Big East as the Bulldogs add Louisville to their football schedules for 2011 and 2012 (shouldn't we all have flying cars then?). They also get to play Cincinnati in a couple of years. Of course, it's the only conference to have figured out Mark Richt as both Boston College (in 2001) and West Virginia (this year's Sugar Bowl) have both taken Georgia down. But let's get to the real news ... the Bulldogs will host Appalachian State in 2009 ... meaning both of my cousins will surely head down to see their alma maters get slammed.

- Anyone else interested in pooling our resources together and making an offer on Nick and Jessica's Newlyweds house?

- If you enjoy checking out new blogs, and I'm sure you are, I came across this one last night after its charitable host was stunned at my useless prep sports knowledge. This girl loves to cook, drink beer and watch football ... and she likes to blog about it too. Even though I know absolutely none of the folks she's talking about it, it was oddly addictive. She's also got a brand new one devoted entirely to food, which she apparently started up, like, yesterday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite Link quote, from the article previewing his 500th win:

Link did not keep up with his coaching record until a few years ago, when he realized the Atlanta Tipoff Club was honoring colleagues whom he was sure he'd won more than.

"I went back and figured up every team's record because I figured I was up there somewhere," he said. "I saw my friends getting honored and I knew I had won more games than some of them, so I thought I'd better let (the Tipoff Club) know."

Pure Link. Great guy. But a little bit nuts.

Lovie

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Newlyweds house has already been purchased by the actor that plays Reese on Malcolm in the Middle.

I just wonder if he is going to be able to afford it after that show ends. He hasn't done anything of note outside of Malcolm in the Middle.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home