Wednesday, February 08, 2006

LPDS update

Who would have thought it ... the rezoning of the old Cofer's site (in order to build La Puerta del Sol) passes 8-2 with only States McCarter and Elton Dodson voting against it. Seeing how they were the two commissioners who represent the affected area, I'm sure this is going to upset a lot of folks over there who were against it.

I think this show how marginal McCarter has become in the political landscape of this city. His wackiness regarding his brief bid for mayor, as well as the sheer anger he unleashed during the initial battle over the rezoning, has obviously isolated several folks on the commission.

Dodson was put in a difficult spot. In email exchange with me last year, he said he personally supported the concept but would find it difficult voting against the wishes of the majority of his constituents, which he felt opposed the rezoning. Ultimately, he cast his lot with what he viewed as the majority (the opposition), and that has probably helped him earn some stripes with the voters over there. Plus, if he did really 'personally' support the LPDS - as he has said in the media and in email exchanges - then it's win-win. He gets the cover of voting against it, but the satisfaction that a non-sprawl, mixed-use development will pop up on the eastside.

Anyway ... I'm glad Bruno Rubio will get to open up his restaurant on the eastside. I hope those who so vehemently opposed its development will give him a chance.

4 Comments:

Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I just hope the food and margaritas are good. I need me something equivalent to Agua Linda on my side of town.

10:05 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

It's not really like Agua Linda, but hell yeah it's good.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Is it going to be more like Caliente Cab? I know he did that one, too. That would be even better!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

That's what I'm thinking,though I think it'll have an expanded menu. It's supposed to be not as informal as Caliente Cab, but maintain the same menu.

Which, as we all have noted, should rock.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home