Thursday, March 23, 2006

Building an army?

The Athens Area Chamber of Commerce is holding a candidates training seminar today, which - while being an understandable and responsible thing to do for the community - just kinda proves to me the Chamber is even more focused on recruiting individuals to help advance their political agenda.

Now they've got Clarke County Democratic Party chairman John Jeffreys addressing the group to discuss fundraising, so this is hardly a partisan effort. But, then again, I don't necessarily think we have a huge partisan divide in this community. Rather you're either pro-Chamber's political message or anti-Chamber's political message (because I believe it's important to separate the political arm of the Chamber from its stated mission of helping local businesses, an overwhelming number of whom are small businesses).

What did make me chuckle when I glanced at the agenda was that Athens-Clarke County Commissioner States McCarter is the slated speaker to address 'Defining Yourself As A Candidate.' Truth be told, there's no better person in the community to do just that. Good or bad, folks definitely know where they stand when it comes to McCarter. Considering I've respectfully disagreed with many of McCarter's recent positions, I do shudder to think what kind of wisdom he'll espouse.

Now should the Chamber be doing this? I don't really know. From my understanding, its Political Action Committee is overseeing this, so that gives them enough wiggle room. But it's growing harder and harder to distinguish between the Chamber and its PAC, which gives the impression that this could be just an attempt to bolster its ranks with a pool of qualified candidates who can seek office throughout the community. Considering the Chamber's leadership endorsed the recent GOP power grab in Athens-Clarke County, this seems to me to be another step in an attempt to take control of the local government.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, I can't imagine that there will be more than a couple of the local Republican faithful in attendance - probably Charlie Maddox and maybe another hapless soul that they can drag in.

Actually it gives me some confort to know that if the Chamber is trying to train their candidates, they are doing such a poor job of it.

States "I'm running for Mayor; no, I'm not. I'm resigning as Commissioner; no, I'm not" McCarter is going to discuss defining yourself as a candidate?! I can't think of anyone else that I'd rather have training Chamber candidates! I can sleep better at night.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended the training tonight and couldn't have been more pleased. They had good speakers, a lot of great information from both parties as well as UGA, and a room full of office seekers. I recognized a few that have announced, but many more that I didn't know. I think the Chamber may have a different strategy this year but they didn't show their hand tonight. McKinney and crew didn't say a word.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I imagine it was very helpful, and though it may have come across like I was belitting the Chamber for doing such a thing, I honestly wasn't. I was just pointing out that one of the primary reasons (whether stated or not) was to identify candidates who are friendly to their agenda. The fact that it actually was of some benefit to those in attendence is all the more better.

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a solid, bi-partisan event. Kudos to the Chamber for putting it on.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home