Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Couple of things

- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has the list of Rivals.com's Top 50 Football Prospects for Georgia, and I think Greene County's Josh Nesbitt is terribly low. I mean, No. 14 for one of the Top 10 quarterbacks in the country? And he's ranked 14th in the state? That's either a statement about how good high school football is in Georgia, or a horribly miscalculation on Rivals's part. Sadly, though, he's the only Northeast Georgia athlete to be featured on the list. Things have been mighty slim around here since the heralded class of 2001 which included Joe Tereshinski III, Tony Taylor, Quentin Moses and Randall Swoopes.

- Dude ... David Greene's wedding? Must be a slow summer.

- Athens Politics has a straw poll of some Athenian bloggers for the upcoming primaries, though I don't believe I said I'd back Ralph Reed in the GOP Primary. If I was Republican, I'd have to go with Casey Cagle because Ralph Reed is, well, Ralph Reed.

- Don't forget to check up on my adventures in Cordele, which includes comments from Marty highlighting just how difficult my 2002 trip to Dooly County was. Also, since we're in to travel commentary these days, check out Russ's move to Chicago.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, dude, I was confused by the implication on the AthPo site that you either: (1) are a republican (nope); or (2) would be voting in the republican primary.

Darren

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

For shame Publius. :)

I'll have to give him a hard time for portraying me as a potential Ralph Reed supporter. Though I will say, after further research, I'm firmly in the Reddy camp. I think he'll be a candidate for higher office down the road as well. He's probably the best chance for Democrats, outside of Tommy Irvin retaining the Ag Commissioner job, of winning a state office this year.

Though I've grown oddly optimistic about Taylor as of late.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I traded emails with the college sports editor a few months back. I basically said that I didn't think they have an anti-UGA or anti-GT bias. They just have a bias towards stirring up crap and focusing on the negatives/failures of both schools.

As evidence of this, I pointed to the fact that Dennis Roland and Russ Tanner pulled two people out of a burning vehicle while saving their lives pre-season last year. That story got 1 paragraph while the story of Josh Johnson a SECOND TEAM linebacker getting suspended made the front page of the sports section.

He said that they really blew it on the fire story.

Maybe the wedding story is an attempt to not focus JUST on the negative as it seems that they so often do.

Especially with Carter Strickland's smarmy, condesending tone about virtually everthing.

Anyway. Sorry for rambling, but I just took the wedding story as "throwing us a bone."

pwd

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Oh I understand entirely Paul, I was just poking fun at it. I've always felt the national media, like CBS and the AJC to an extent, had an unnatural infatuation with the Davids. Now, granted, both of the Davids should go down as two of the greatest Georgia players of all-time (as an aside, you don't appreciate how much Pollack did for the team ... for three years you got the opportunity to watch, literally, the best defensive player in the country).

But I remember the fire thing. Not many folks picked up that, which is really weird. It must be because of all of the hoopla surrounding last offseason's turmoils. Any thing that happened to a UGA player got immediate front-page coverage because, well, there was this sentiment of 'another one!' I suppose.

BTW ... seriously, see if you can get Scott Hartman's 1999 Knoxville road trip video. Hillarious. Set to 'Crazy Train' ... it's top-notch movie-making.

11:40 AM  
Blogger ctrosecrans said...

i wonder if someone will write what an invitation to the wedding might have looked like for the ajc

(hope that's not too obscure of a reference)

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home