Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Couple of things

- In news of the most pleasant kind (well, in a way), people I voted for actually won their elections. Mark Taylor defeated Cathy Cox to win the Democratic nomination for governor, earning him the most difficut task of taking on a fairly popular Republican governor in a red state. Bill Overend is headed for a runoff with C.R. Chisholm after a fairly disappointing showing in the soliciter general primary, though hopefully he can scoop up some of Brian Patterson's voters and make up the difference.

- Speaking of politics, today is the big day for me as I deliver my talk on faith and politics at First Baptist Church of Athens tonight at 5:30 p.m. Not too nervous yet, but I have a nagging fear I'm going to go just blank when it comes time to start looking at what the Bible says about the role of the state.

- Speaking (again) of politics, the Athens Banner-Herald recycles the usual Election Day editorial concerning negative campaigning. I think they, like most newspapers, simply switch the names out each election.

- Matt Yglesias takes a most reasonable look at why it's quite counterproductive for Kos to simply not talk about the Israel-Lebanon conflict. I happen to agree with him.

8 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

Well, one of 'em won. And one of 'em was leading but is in a runoff. What's that, 50 percent? A bit less?

9:10 AM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I know you'll do a fine job tonight. I always get nervous before stuff like that -- although I don't know that I've ever done something on that scale before. Remember that pauses that feel HUGE to you aren't that long in actuality. I learned that teaching. I would stand there trying to think of something to say next and believing that the pause lasted minutes when it actually was 10 seconds tops. It really adds nice breaks in your talk, too, if you happen to pause like that.

Deep, even breaths right before help, too. And don't lock your knees. Heh.

Anyway, I bet you'll do fine. Good luck, Jmac!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

It's not the bad kind of nervous because I'm looking forward to doing the talk, but a little nervous nonetheless.

The speaking slow thing is huge. I remember that from some speech therapy sessions I had back in the day. Plus deliberately speaking slow makes you calm down, I've learned. I was really nervous when I had to speak at First Presbyterian a month or so back, but forcing myself to talk slow really helped out.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Yeah, I constantly have to rein myself in when I'm teaching -- I get going really fast. Not Xon-fast, but pretty fast none-the-less. Heh.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a First Pres type, I heard your IHN presentation a while back (I would have tracked you down after the service to say "hello," but that was one of the Sundays that the family needed to be somewhere else in short order). Just as you did then, I'm sure that you will do fine this evening. Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

James, I'm sorry I missed you. It's weird that I was more nervous for a three-minute announcement at First Presbyterian than this 45-minute program at First Baptist.

I gave a once-for when I went home and found myself speeding up during telling of stories which requiring little use of my notes. Must make a mental note to slow down on those.

Then again, I could ramble for an hour-and-a-half ... who knows?

1:58 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

I say you switch it up and tell stories that have seemingly little to do with anything. Like, go in there and tell them all about our WHS adventures followed by something like, "So, you all can see the definite need for us, as Christians, to consider the Bible when making political decisions." Or something else totally non-applicable to the 30 minute story you just told them. Smile knowingly, and walk off stage.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

Do you have a transcript, or just a copy of your outline or notes, that I could take a look at? I'd love to read through your talk. Take pity on this conservative Presbyterian in the middle of Mormon country.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home