Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Couple of things

- With all due respect, Ed Elder is an idiot. While I have plenty of ideological disagreements with Morris Communications brass, I can safely say censorship isn't happening there. With the sheer volume of letters that trickle in to the Athens Banner-Herald, decisions have to be made about what runs and what doesn't run. So, sometimes, a letter doesn't get in, but that doesn't mean it's censorship.

Furthermore, if I got a ton of emails criticizing my blog but chose not to run them all, would I be guilty of censorship? Of course not. They were able to say their piece, criticize my site and move on. My decision to not run their comments is not hindering their free speech at all. The Banner-Herald is a private business that has the right to publish what it sees fit. Simply opening up an avenue for its readership to communicate with its reporters, editors and managers means it's not censoring their thoughts.

And don't get me started on the 'monopoly market' phrase ... there are a variety of weekly newspapers in the surrounding, rural counties, a very successful weekly alternative in Flagpole and a pretty good student newspaper in The Red & Black. Plus, anyone can come along and challenge the Banner-Herald if they see fit ... it just hasn't happened yet.

- Athens-Clarke County mayoral candidate Charlie Maddox shares his ideas with Athens Grow Green Coalition, and I share some of those ideas with you.

- OK, except it really isn't as 'aggressive' ... and the 9/11 Commission findings showed that.

- Not that I really follow Virginia politics all that much, but it appears George Allen is in a world of trouble.

- As noted earlier, Athens Politics is back in the mix.

5 Comments:

Blogger GP said...

+1 on your Ed Elder comments. He makes it seem like the ABH editorial staff sits in a smokey room twisting their mustaches and censoring letters to forward the evil conservative agenda of Morris Communications. Looks kinda silly.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

Ah, "the schools"...speaking of censorship.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Jmac, have you seen Talladega Nights? Your use of "With all due respect..." made me laugh.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Holla said...

I don't know whether JMac has seen it, Russ, but "with all due respect" is a pretty standard JMacism. He says it a good bit. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...my dad bought me a shirt that says "At the end of the day...it's the end of the day" on it because he noticed that I say "At the end of the day" all the time).

8:49 AM  
Blogger Russell & Mariah said...

Your mom's a pretty standard Jmacism. Or something.

Punk.

Whatever happened to the "Up North it's Walleye and the Beav" shirt? That should definitely make a comeback along with Fife.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home