Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Couple of things

- I suppose the endorsement of E.H. Culpepper by the Athens Banner-Herald is its way of making amends to its conversative readers for endorsing Heidi this past weekend. Culpepper has lots of experience, but I don't accept the argument that because he's an independent he'll get more accomplished in the Georgia General Assembly. If anything, I think he'll receive pressure from the controlling Republican majority to declare his party affiliation, and until that happens not much will get done. The endorsement of Becky Vaughn is also surprising, though not really. It isn't as if Bob Smith has ever actually done anything for Athens-Clarke County, allowing his ideology to trump the wishes of his constituents time and time again.

- When your criticism results in you appearing as if you haven't the faintest idea how the office of the attorney general actually works, than you've got a long, uphill climb.

- An honest question for Mike Griffin, a conservative pastor seeking office who's very much anti-illegal immigration, how difficult is it to reconcile your Christian duty to love thy neighbor and watch over the poor with your desire to deny them even the charitable assistance from private, non-profit organizations when they cross the border?

- I regale you with tales and images from the weekend that was ...

- Al posted some of the going-ons from Heidi Davison's campaign over at Athens Politics.

- The trailer for Bobby is up.

- I started reading The Audacity of Hope by Sen. Barack Obama on Sunday, and it's very good. It's really, quote possibly, the first time I've ever read anything by a politician and thought 'I've been saying the exact same thing!' ... which, as I nudge The Wife to tell her these instances, she grows more and more annoyed. Anyway, here is an excerpt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Holla said...

JMac, is there a link or something to where Griffin says that those currently in this country illegally should be denied private charity? I don't know anything about the man, but the article you linked in the ABH didn't present him as saying this. I'm sure you're more up on these regional candidates than I am.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I was actually just looking for a web site for him, as I was going to use him as an example in a talk I have to give at Gainesville College Thursday, but can't track one down.

I remember reading somewhere that he supported the stronger federal regulations that were being bantered back and forth in Congress, but I'm having a hard time finding that.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home