Thursday, October 26, 2006

Couple of things

- Blake Aued is a bit lacking in his reporting of the mayoral debate.* At least summarize what they talked about buddy. Andy Rusk, however, is withdrawing from the mayoral race.

- From what I heard from the Athens-Clarke County Commission debate ... about Alvin Sheats ... wow. He does appear to be the candidate with the most comic appeal. He really enjoyed not disagreeing with his opposition, not offering any concrete details and speaking in generalities and odd, over-enunciated cliches.

- Also, in the process of his closing statement, Doug Lowry went from being a conservative, as he claimed he was a few weeks ago, to being 'the Democrat in the race' to then, literally just a few moments later, being the independent in the race. Wow. That's a hat trick.

- And, though I don't want to be, I become more and more impressed with James Garland. We're still light years apart from each other on several issues, but he knows his stuff, is firm in his beliefs, but also appears to be more than willing to sit down and hammer out a workable solution to problems.

- Kelly Girtz also impresses me very much. He performed very well last night and had the only closing statement out of the District Nine candidates that didn't make him sound like a robot.

- Listen, I'm torn on this thing right here because, from what I've heard from people who have worked with Terry Holley, he did appear to be a bit overwhelmed in this whole thing (and, to be fair, first time running for office and you do something like Congress, it's going to be overwhelming at times). But, even though he's going to get it handed to him by Charlie Norwood in the general election, how wise is it to air your dirty laundry less than two weeks before Election Day?

- I can't make any promises, but I don't think we'll sound like chipmunks in the latest The Cover Two podcast.

- I take a look at who gave what to what campaign, courtesy of Flagpole's reporting.

- Hi! My name is Bill Shurman! I enjoy talking about things I know nothing about!

- Hi! My name is Jeff Emmanuel! I enjoy talking about things I know nothing about!

*In reality, Aued was probably backed up on deadline and had to get his story in ASAP. Having been there and done that, I'm sure it was. But, hey, I wanted a cheap laugh and it would have been nice to have a bit more coverage, wouldn't it?

5 Comments:

Blogger hillary said...

And also he explained why he didn't cover what they talked about _in_ the article, i.e., we've had eleventy billion of these debate/forum things and they covered nothing new this time. I mean, I know that's not the best excuse, but for those of us who read this kind of thing, it's a valid one.

8:17 AM  
Blogger GP said...

This isn't Terry Holley's first rodeo. I believe he's already lost 2 campaigns in the past. I was also reluctantly surprised by Garland in the debate last night. I also think Ed Vaughn did a great job.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

True, true GP. I didn't give Vaughan the necessary credit. Aside from a rather stiff closing argument, his responses to questions from the panel were very well articulated and he answered a good bit of criticism that had been leveled his way.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, guys. I just hope that the folks out in District 1 feel the same way :).

As an aside, I think that its tough for a candidate to accurately judge his/her performance in these forum/debate things.

In terms of what you say, you're trying to answer a specific question, while at the same time covering your prepared points and countering (or at least distinguishing yours from) those of the other candidate(s). And not sound like a robot or a fool in the process.

And then there are the physical aspects, like having a microphone obstructing your view of the audience and having stage lighs blazing in your eyes (which can be quite warm, by the way).

Anyway, my point is that when I leave the stage, I have to rely on the appraisals of others to determine whether I did a reasonable job or not.

For what it is worth, I liked the format used by the "Press Club," namely that of putting all of the commission candidates on at the same time as a group.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is the Flagpole even part of the Press Club? Pete has no journalistic integrity, he doesn't even pretend. I would agree that Blake does a lousy job. He did not even show up to the second Chamber debate.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home