Friday, October 27, 2006

A shot across the bow (apparently)

Awesome! An inside-baseball reporter/blogger war!

Yesterday, I made a joke at the expense of Athens Banner-Herald reporter Blake Aued, though to be fair, I don't think it was really all that funny, nor was it really that critical.

Aued, understandably, took offense and fired back at me.

Finally, JMac over at safeashouses doesn't particularly care for my debate coverage. I know he's been out of the game for a while, with his cushy 9-to-5 and whatnot, but you try distilling two hours of talk into 500 words and doing it in 20 minutes, with a curveball like Rusk's last-second announcement thrown at you to boot. Anybody who thinks they can do better is welcome to try.

Ouch.

Now he's right about some things ... I do have a 9-to-5, though I wouldn't exactly say it's 'cushy,' and it is hard to try and whittle down something like a lengthy debate into a mere 12 to 15 inches of copy. I may have been out of the game for a bit, but I've been on deadline before and, yeah, it kinda sucks. In fact, I actually pointed that out at the end of my sarcastic reply.

And, again, to be fair Aued did a bang-up job at the blog wrapping up the debate ... particularly the portion about the Charlie Maddox's criticism of Heidi Davison and the whole hullabaloo surrounding that (plus, Andy Rusk drank a six-pack of PBR ... wow) ... so, kudos. I spoke too soon, so here's my mea culpa.

I've only met Aued a couple of times, but he seems to be a nice enough fella, and he's done a pretty good job with the local government beat (plus he gave my little ole blog some love just a few days earlier, so I really do feel kinda sheepish now).

So, dude, seriously, no hard feelings ... I was just being a little sarcastic, that's all.

Hell, I'm just glad someone is reading.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six pack my ass. Andy had the same warm beer up there the whole hour. It might make better copy to exaggerate, but the reality was great to watch in its raw form. Unmentioned in the Aued article was Tom Chasteen's visual arm pumping "yes!" when Rusk offhandedly mentioned that Tom was lucky that they only had two minutes for closing statements, so Andy would have to leave him off the hook. It was the most fun I've ever had at a political event.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

did he not see the disclaimer in that post?

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home