Sunday, October 08, 2006

Tent City is famous

OK ... forget the bitter disappointment of the 51-33 loss to Tennessee and focus on the positive. And the positive is that we had a spectacular turnout for our tailgate and even got some coverage from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

I'm talking front page ... with Tent City mayor Matt Tovrog leading the way with a picture of him consuming a cherry. So first off, let's give a big 'thank you' to John Kessler, the reporter who spent some time with us on Saturday. Though the story isn't on the web site (for some reason), it is on A1 of the print edition, and Kessler did a bang-up job.

He arrived at my house at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday to watch The Wife and I load up the truck we borrowed from Matt DuVall (too many Matts in this post ... going to last names from here on out). Kessler did a good job in succintly wrapping up all it is that we do, so that was nice.

Plus, I got quoted (!).

"Normally we come up with a theme that somehow involves eating the other team's mascot," says Johnathan McGinty, 28, mopping the chickens with sauce. "For instance, we had Buffalo burgers for the Colorado game. But you can't really eat a Volunteer."

Now, I'll be honest, I don't recall saying this ... however it sounds like something I'd probably say, so I can go with it. Kessler included a ton of information from our tailgates, which was cool ... so a big hat tip to Hillary for sending him our way.

Anyway, here's a rundown in words and images from Tennessee 2006:

- The Wife made her first appearance at a tailgate this year and was promptly fascinated by DAve. Somehow, one of their conversations turned to lemurs, to which DAve informed The Wife the animal was native to Madagascar and she responded 'how do you know that?' DAve followed with 'Oh Julie ... you and I obviously haven't spent enough time talking because if we had, you'd know I'm full of useless knowledge like this.'

- Before I forget, please remind me that I owe Josh money for a package of Swisher Sweets.

- The food was ridiculous, and everyone pitched in. Kudos to Lindsey for her sausage balls and pigs-in-a-blanket, while Tim offered up a strong effort of pulled pork with a homemade honey-mustard BBQ sauce. Also on tap were macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole, pepperoni pasta salad ... and, of course, beer can chicken.

Yes sir.

- Lots of red 'Sonny for Governor' stickers being passed out. Tovrog notices them and comments to The Wife, 'it's as if they automatically know this would be the wrong tailgate for that.'

- Meimi is, arguably, the queen of appetizer dips, and her cheesy taco-like dip was no exception ... though, the yellow jackets enjoyed it more than we did.

To quote her, the dip was quite 'viscus' early in the morning.

- Kudos to museum staff for dropping by. Carissa and husband Patrick made an appearance ... as well as a plate, while intern Katie gave in to my nagging and stopped by. I think she's still reeling from my not listening to her radio shout-out to me ... and now, judging by the comments, she wasn't happy with the picture. This will mean only more ridicule at my expense come Monday.

- 'Jmac's Cheap Beer Selection of the Week' was split as I brought a six-pack of Lone Star and a six-pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice tallboys. Upon giving DAve a Lone Star, I told him I wasn't sure if they were twist-off or not ... to which he deadpanned 'I'm going to go out on a limb and say they are.'

- Oh yeah! In addition to trivia, The Wife and I instituted door prizes at Tent City. Meimi won an otoscope, while Scott got a tape measure. This could be huge this year.

Also winners? Michael and Barbara ... though they're apparently stunned by their victory.

- OK ... here are way too many random pictures to close this thing out:

Impressive ... most impressive.

Meims and I are fired up at the prospect of being in the newspaper.

The mayor gives his approval to Jmac's macaroni and cheese.

Dramatic-like shot of Tim prior to a toss in Cornhole.

Carrie takes time out from hollering 'Teeeeeeeuum!' to pose for a picture with me.

The otoscope was a big hit.

Obligatory picture of Jmac kissing The Wife.

Also, check out DAve's photos at Flickr.

4 Comments:

Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

Wow, your hair is getting long!

8:39 PM  
Blogger TKAthens said...

I stand on the record in FULL SUPPORT of both Cherreshinskis AND JMac's hair. I once had hair so long that it bordered, leaned, teetered on Afro territory...and then busted straight on through that border. So rock on with your hair my friend.

As for the tailgate...a rousing success...I thoroughly enjoyed all the food and am still horribly bitter that I missed out on the door prizes.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Josh M. said...

The cigars are on me, my friend. Partially because I'm awesome like that, and partially because your last post made me feel bad for my late Saturday proclamation that Mark Richt's throat should be cut and we should stand over him, taunting his slowly dying body. Sorta bad, at least.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

You're a good man Josh ... a good man indeed.

For that, I will bequeath to you a cigar come this Saturday ... that is, if our tailgate hasn't been torn to shreds by hordes of angry Dawgosphereans.

Oh, and Bryan, I like the hair. Until you actually make a tailgate, there shall be no criticism of said hair ... mullet and all.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home