Thursday, November 16, 2006

Carville vs. Dean

I've got to admit, I don't really understand this whole thing, but it's kinda amusing.

I, for one, thought Howard Dean did a pretty good job, and I'm a fan of the 50-state strategy. However, I'm not ready to crown him the savior of the Democratic Party as so many in the liberal blogosphere want to do. Truth be told, I don't think he effectively managed money all that well in the crunch-time, and he was aided by strong voter dissatisfaction with the majority party.

Plus, Rahm Emmanuel and Chuck Schumer deserve a lot of credit for the ability to recruit candidates and organize the races. It was more of a victory for that trio rather than merely Dean, as many left-leaning blogs want to indicate (again, I've liked what Dean's done, but their infatuation with the man is fascinating, and a tad baffling, to me).

Still, what to make of James Carville's comments? I don't know. I like the guy, and I think the fact that he's the only guy to actually get a Democrat elected president in the past 25 years gives him some staying power. Plus, I'm more in tune with him politically than with Dean.

For what it's worth, I think this is an extension of some petty, personal feud between the two. Carville is, understandably, a Bill Clinton-type-of-Democrat and Dean railed against those folks during his primary run (one of the reasons, it must be noted, that I was turned off to Dean's candidacy a few years back). As a result, Dean and his followers have increasingly grown hostile to the Clinton Democrats.

So they've gone back and forth since then, and Carville is probably a bit envious of the recent success and probably thinks he could've done a little better than Dean did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home