Thursday, November 09, 2006

This just in ...

... Ed Vaughan's upset. And, it must be noted, more than a tad off his rocker.

In a posting over at Athens Politics dealing with weird debate involving Doug McKillip, Vaughan opened fire with ...

Hillary, you share the sentiments of most Athenians who voted for oblivious elitists, such as Girtz.

And, Anonymous Al, you are a nasty little rich boy who needs to get a more honorable role in life besides being a s***-spreader. You called me a moron, Al. My public life is over, but that ain't.


To this, I responded with ...

Ed, with all due respect, what the hell man?

Is this really what you want to do? Come on here and act like a child because you lost the election? Open a personal grudge with someone to the whole world ... and unnecessarily attack someone who shares his views?

Listen, I like some of your ideas, but I don't have a lot of respect for someone who is going to swing by after an Election Day performance so profoundly poor that you barely got more votes than an absurdly conservative dude with little name recognition who wasn't even on the ballot.

Bravo for touting your 800 votes ... what about the 2,700 that went to Alvin Sheats and 3,000 to Kelly Girtz ... someone who's so elitist that he managed to take the early lead in the race.


Now, it should be noted that I posted this at 2:43 p.m. at Athens Politics. However, prior to that, Ed decided to launch an unprovoked attack on me here at this blog because at 2:34 p.m. he offered us this fine piece of prose:

I am just glad that all the ponytailed university s**** voted for Girtz, a guy who will totally preserve the status quo. Thanks, JMAC, for blindly parroting the spin put out by Grow Green, a bunch of elitists who take Bertis Downs' money and do what they are told. As an (ex-) athlete, i can say, Jmac, that you are quite a proficient athletic supporter.

He's right ... I am a big fan of Georgia football and the Red Sox, but I digress.

What's interesting about this suspension of reality by Vaughan is that it flies in the face of what was posted just one comment earlier by James Garland, who is by no means a 'ponytailed university s***':

jmac

I'm pasting here the comment that I just posted over at AthPo, it applies to you too:

Personally, I am glad that it is all over. I do not envy the folks who have to stay in campaign mode for another month.

In District 1, I concentrated on running a campaign that focused exclusively on my positions and policy proposals. As it turns out, the voters chose someone else (though I did make a respectable showing). So be it.

I feel that this blog has always treated me fairly and for that I am grateful.


Now, I'm not here to toot my own horn, but I like think I run a pretty fair blog, and I thank James for his kind comments.

Am I partisan at times? Well, sure. I like Davison and I like Girtz and I like progressive, Democratic politics, and I've defended them during discussions at this blog. However, I welcome all sorts of views here, and I'm pretty good friends with folks who hold vastly different opinions than me.

I've never met Vaughan. In fact, I wouldn't know him from Adam, so I'm not sure why he's this angry, particularly with me and other folks in the Athenian blogosphere. Perhaps impotent showings at the polls do this to people, who knows ...

What I do know is that even though I endorsed Girtz, I had some kind words for some of Vaughan's ideas.

Here's what I also know. I know that he was upset with the criticism leveled at him by Grow Green, which is understandable. However, I think a lot of the criticism was valid based on what I saw of Vaughan and what I read at his web site. I think on a lot of issues of local governance and the authority of the Athens-Clarke County Commission, he didn't exactly understand all the nuances and details and, in some places, the basic workings of the Mayor and Commission.

Does that detract from his ideas? I don't think so. I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... the economic gardening idea is a good one. I hope this commission takes a look at it.

However, did it make me question his ability to serve as a commissioner? Yes, so I endorsed Girtz who I found to be thorough, knowledgeable and likeable ... as well as being, more or less, in step with my ideological views.

So what have we learned about Ed Vaughan? Well, for starters, he's a terrible, ungracious loser. He's pretty petty too. We also know he's rather childish as evidenced by the 'athletic supporter' joke (which was one of those ones that, if it had been made to someone while being surrounded by a crowd, the crowd would have been embarassed for him making such an idiotic, unfunny quip ... dude, seriously). He's also apparently pretty poor at typing, but now I'm just nit-picking.

Do I have any ill will toward the man? Of course not. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy who's been hurt by the accusations hurled his way and his defeat at the polls. He's accomplished a lot in his life and spent more than 10 years serving this country in the military, and I'd like to applaud him for that. If we sat down for a beer, we'd probably get along.

However, if he keeps behaving in such a bizarre and juvenille matter, Vaughan will just speed up his descent toward becoming not relevant.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Ed, great job telling it like it is! I knew there was a reason I voted for you!

This town needs more people like you who are willing to get in Bertie's and Al's faces and tell it! Bravo!

5:50 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Yeah ... that makes sense.

8:18 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

Hiya. It is possible not to be a huge fan of the Athens Dems _and_ not be a fan of random a-hole beheavior.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. There aren't very many fans of the local party left. They didn't give one cent to local candidates for office, allowing the non partisan elections to basically eliminate any relevance they ever had at all.
They should have claimed ALL the local democrats in LOCAL races, and sent every single candidate some money, instead of playing along w/the non partisan scam.
There are a lot of us who are pretty upset that the exec committee was so completely lacking in guts that they let soon to be out of there Chair John Jeffreys openly support Charlie Maddox, even allowing him to insist that there be a non partisan table of materials at their office! Now folks, let's review Charlie Maddox's money. Or wait, you already know all that, right?

I mean, I would rather have seen all four of the Dem mayoral candidates and Kelly, Alvin AND Ed Vaughn (if he were a democrat that week, even, lol) and Doug Lowry EACH get some support and recognition from the local party.
By refusing to acknowledge our Democratic candidates here locally the party has just completely bent over to the repubs and the chamber's non partisan bunch o crap.

No wonder they won none of the races they put their money into, they ignored the most important races they had a chance to help!

Here's a hint: the Clarke County Democratic Committee is not just a geographic designation, it implies that we are actually supposed to do things for democrats in Clarke County!
No wonder no progressive worth their salt will have anything to do w/them any more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this party is a faculty meeting, set up to keep people FROM participating in it. It is a dysfuntional little clique of insiders who would rather be mediocre than risk any "oustsiders" share in any of their power.

Well, now they're completely powerless, and it couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of do-nothing jerks.

But, in case you think any change is forthcoming, forgetaboutit.

They already elected the new chair Mac Rawson, two years ago!
And the exec committee, w/Jenny Penny Oliver at the head, they all re-elected themselves as a group, and have NO intention of opening up the slate to the floor. No, no no, no democratic process for the local democratic party!

The executive committee nominates itself in one fell slate, and nominations from the floor aren't allowed until the night of the election. Now, they've been known to hold that same self congratulatory election at Christmas parties (with no notice), at meetings announced only a few days in advance, and at several different times of year, depending, I suppose, on who they think they can stack the meeting with at the time.
It's a joke, a really bad joke, and until there's a real change in their operation, they're going to continue to lose every race that they should be winning.

The repubs gave their local candidates big bucks, and continue to pour money into Charlie Maddox's campaign even as we speak. I call on the local Dems to step up to the plate NOW and support our two remaining Dems, both Heidi and Kelly.

Show us the money! And maybe we'll come back to the party in hopes of making it a real democratic committee one day.

diehardgadem

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home