Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thinking about the future ...

I know we're only two days removed from Election Day, and we've still got a runoff for mayor and District Nine here in Athens-Clarke County, but it's always interesting to make predictions which will probably never actually hold up four years from now.

I'm referring to governor in 2010, as well as Athens-Clarke County mayor the same year (assuming Heidi Davison wins re-election in the December runoff).

For governor, what's really weird to me is that Casey Cagle, the newly elected Lt. Governor, is probably the frontrunner for the GOP ... weird in the sense that someone went from a rather obscure, low-key politician to the 'future of the party' in one year's time. Cagle's a likeable enough fella, which would make him to be Sonny Jr. in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, he'll face plenty of challenges. I've heard from more than one person that Brian Kemp will eventually seek the governorship, but coming off a loss in the Agriculture Commissioner primary, I think he'll either take a political appointment or run for something in Congress down the road (or, perhaps take another shot at Agriculture Commissioner in four years).

There are also the usual players such as Jack Kingston and Lynn Westmoreland, but it would be interesting to see if someone like, say, former Augusta-Richmond County mayor Bob Smith sought the governorship ... he took a job working for the Department of Homeland Security in Atlanta midway through his second term. Or perhaps Herman Cain tosses his hat into the ring.

On the Democratic side, two names which will probably generate some buzz will be Atlanta mayor Shirley Franklin and current Attorney General Thurbert Baker. I'd like to see the latter seek that office, though I'm quite high on the former. But I think Baker's experience as attorney general, coupled with his more moderate stances on many issues, make him probably the toughest candidate Republicans would have to face.

Franklin, for what it's worth, might seek one of the seats for the U.S. Senate.

Common sense would indicate that some of the usual players like DuBose Porter or Jim Marshall might ponder a run. Both are moderates with good name recognition.

Locally, I'm wondering who would consider running for mayor. Taking a look at the current commission, I don't know who I see seeking the office. There's been talk of Harry Sims possibly, but I'm not sold on that. I think a run by Elton Dodson after two terms as the District 10 commissioner isn't out of the question, but that's purely speculation on my part.

I'm not really up-to-speed on moderates in town who would give it a go, or possibly some Chamber-friendly folks. Any suggestions?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Lynn would be an excellent mayor.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home