Monday, November 06, 2006

Athens-Clarke County Mayoral Race

Who's Running
Heidi Davison
Charlie Maddox
Tom Chasteen
Richard DeRose

Who I Like
Well, there's no surprise here as this is one of the worst-kept secrets around (or, well, at least at this little ole blog). I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm a supporter of Heidi Davison for mayor of Athens-Clarke County. Not because of any false perceptions of what any other candidate would do if they became mayor. Not because I think everything is hunky-dorey in this community.

But rather because I feel Davison is the best suited for the job out of the current field of candidates and has quite an impressive record of success and progress to run on.

Before I continue, however, I do want to say a few things about some of the other candidates because, in today's age of cynicism and hyperpartisanship, I think it's important to give full respect to those brave enough to withstand the scrutiny of being called to public service.

At the onset of this campaign season, I was very hard on Tom Chasteen. I said he was too wishy-washy to be mayor, and at the time I felt he was. Chasteen, more than any other candidate in this race, worked to alleviate my concerns with a smart campaign and by providing, along with Davison, some of the most thoughtful and in-depth answers to the numerous questionnaires that came his way from organizations as varied as Grow Green Athens and the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce. Chasteen has spent the better part of the past 16 years serving on the Athens-Clarke County Commission, and his dedication to public service is something to be commended.

Likewise, I have been pretty tough on Charlie Maddox as of late, for primarily the same reasons I was so hard on Chasteen in the beginning. I felt much of his campaign lacked substance, and to his credit and the credit of his campaign, he too has worked hard to answer any questions I may have. Unlike Andy Rusk, I don't think this community would be handing over the keys to the kingdom to the Chamber if Maddox won. I think Maddox legitimately believes some of the same things the Chamber believes and that has garnered the endorsement of that particular organization, but I also believe he wouldn't do anything that would swing too far away from the current accepted standards our community has strived for over the past few years.

Maddox is a good man who wants the best for this community, and though we may differ over some of the means used to get there, I think we share the same end ... which is a healthy, vibrant Athens-Clarke County. He's taken some shots the past week, and he's dished some out as well, but I think the process is better because of his involvement.

Still, despite even sharing some of the same views that both Maddox and Chasteen have, I find it impossible for me to not reward Davison with another term in office. Now, this isn't to say that I have agreed with all she has done in office. Far from it. I didn't like the fact the compromise for the smoking ban was so easily dismissed just one year into its trial. I don't agree with all of the elements of the rental registration program. I don't like the fact the local government has such a hostile relationship with the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce, regardless of whose fault it really is.

But, as I've also argued before, one will never be able to find that ideal candidate who shares every aspect of your political vision. So while I do have some disagreements with Davison, I also am quite proud of many of the things she has done in office.

The Neighborhood Notification Initiative is a brilliant idea, allowing residents to be knowledgable on pending zoning actions in their areas. The Community Protection Division is able to focus its time on enforcing the county's quality of life ordinances rather than tax existing strained resources.

Davison got the funding to establish a pre-trial intervention probation program in our local court system, added 14 new police officers to the Athens-Clarke County Police force, increased the service for the Athens Transit and increased citizen participation by appointing folks to committees for water conservation, the use of Transferable Development Rights and East Athens Park.

She's pushed through strong stream buffers, a workable ordinance to manage our tree canopy and has worked to halt needless clear-cutting and mass grading.

And, most important in my mind, she was vital in the establishment of Partners for a Prosperous Athens, something that was two years in the making. In doing so, she sought out a number of individuals from across the community and brought them together to find a way to address the inexcusable poverty rate in Athens-Clarke County.

Davison has faced much criticism, some at this blog, about her lack of ability to develop a comprehensive economic development plan. When I speak out to defend her, people question my ability in developing an economic development plan ... and all of those criticisms don't come with anything more than opinionated claims and little suggestions of what to do next.

For those who say Atlanta has turned a deaf ear to her, I suggest they call Craig Lesser, the state's commissioner for economic development, who is one of her biggest defenders.

For those who say she can't get along with neighboring counties, they should ask Pat Bell of Jackson County and Wesley Nash of Madison County if they agree with those assessments, particularly since the latter has offered to help her campaign.

For those who say she can't broker deals with those who share different views, they should consider the story of her swaying a more conservative member of the Houston County Commission to her side during a meeting of the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia.

For those who say she's 'anti-business' then I suggest they speak with Keith Rabideau or Jim White or Rod Pharr or Hugh Acheson or any of the other small business merchants in this community who have lent their support to her re-election.

Listen, some people will stubbornly say that Heidi is 'anti-business' for no other reason other than the fact that the Chamber's current political leadership tells them that. That's fine because the pendulum swings both ways as some people think that the construction of one strip mall will mean untold sprawl when we all know that isn't the case.

However, what I am saying is that I think Davison 'gets it' more than any other candidate in this race. I think, contrary to popular belief among the old guard, she knows how to find balance and she knows what's important and she knows how to broker deals. Make no mistake, this woman can be frustratingly stubborn in her passion for some issues, but such stubbornness comes from sincere (and, more often than not, correct) belief that her way is the best way for this community.

I like Davison professionally, but I also like her personally. She has returned every email or phone call I've ever put into her office. She went out of her way one day to introduce herself to The Wife. She shows up at events and concerts downtown.

But, what stands out most to me, is what she said in a recent story the Athens Banner-Herald did on the impact of poverty on the election. She was asked about Partners for a Prosperous Athens and was going on and on about how beneficial it was for the community to have this important conversation. The reporter asked her what she would do if she didn't win re-election and, without batting an eye, she responded 'I'll go as a private citizen.'

For Davison, that's where it all began for her. She worked her tail off before her public service, she's working her tail off now and then, come next January whether she's mayor or a regular citizen, she's going to work her tail off.

It's that kind of dedication we need, and it's that reason I'd like to see her get four more years as our mayor.