Friday, November 03, 2006

Local Races

My endorsements in state races are here, and I plan to do a separate post for my mayoral endorsement.

Athens-Clarke County Commission District One

Who's Running
Doug Lowry
James Garland

Who I Like
This is a non-partisan race, but we all know where both of these folks come down - Lowry is a moderate-to-conservative Democrat, while Garland is a member of the libertarian wing of the Republican Party. This is also the best race in town. Why? Not because of any mudslinging or accusations, but because both of these candidates are good men who are equally qualified to fill this district's seat.

Lowry has attended every Athens-Clarke County Commission meeting for the past few years, and he's managed to keep his sanity enough to put together a nice campaign for commission. He's got good ideas for the management of our water resources and has a knack for working with a variety of people with diverse interests.

Garland, like Lowry, has a sparkling attendence record for commission meetings. He's sharp, thoughtful and opinionated. He wants to push for the extension of full services to the citizens of rural, North Athens-Clarke County and not attempt to answer every problem with a new ordinance.

I'll be honest, it's a tough call. Ideologically, I line up more with Lowry. But I greatly admire Garland's passion and his willingness to engage with the Athenian blogosphere, though I don't share all the elements of his vision for this community.

On one hand, Lowry would put a good moderate on the commission at a time when balance is needed across the political spectrum. On the other hand, Garland would force contrary views to be heard from behind the rail, possibly forcing some workable compromises on a variety of issues.

The citizens of District One, despite the candidate's wide ideological differences, would be well-represented by either candidate. As a result, I'm undecided.

Athens-Clarke County Commission District Nine

Who's Running
Kelly Girtz
Ed Vaughan
Alvin Sheats

Who I Like
It's no secret that I'm quite a fan of Girtz. He's run a heck of a campaign, and I share his vision of doing a better job to educate our existing workforce population, as well as trying to reach out and recruit emerging technology businesses to locate here.

He and I also see eye-to-eye on a variety of environmental issues, such as the preservation of our existing stream buffers.

Vaughan's run a good campaign, and if there's one thing I hope the commission takes note of, it's his fondness for the concept of economic gardening, which would be most beneficial to our small businesses in the area.

But I like Kelly Girtz.

Who I Like In Other Races

Judge, Superior Court of the Western Judicial Circuit - David Sweat

Clarke County Board of Education, District Five - Mildred Lyle