Thursday, November 02, 2006

State Races

State House District 113

Who's Running
Rep. Bob Smith (R)
Becky Vaughn (D)

Who I Like
Well, I'm no friend of Bob Smith considering he's someone who marches lockstep with the Republican leadership in Atlanta. He's consistently voted against permitting this community - one he doesn't even live in - have the ability to hold local referendums on issues of importance to it, which is most disappointing.

Vaughn is no stranger to these races, having waged a tough one just a few years ago against Brian Kemp. She's got an uphill battle in this one as being a Democrat in Oconee County is a fairly lonely thing. However her passion and her energy - as well as her common sense belief that government is neither the answer to all of our problems nor the cause of them - is what makes me endorse Becky Vaughn.

State House District District 115

Who's Running
Doug McKillip (D)
Regina Quick (R)
E.H. Culpepper (I)

Who I Like
I'll be honest ... this is a tough one. McKillip has some interesting ideas on how to help families in poverty (such as developing an Earned Income Tax Credit program for the state of Georgia) as well as sharing my belief that expanding and educating our existing workforce is one of the most effective ways to draw businesses to Athens-Clarke County.

Quick isn't your typical Republican, and if you listened to any of these debates you realized that pretty quick. She's committed to environmental issues and is very socially progressive.

Culpepper is a moderate who is tough to put a finger on. He's rather progressive with regard to some environmental issues, but is also a good advocate for local business. Plus he's got plenty of connections across the state, which is always a positive thing for any community.

I know it's cliche to say 'well, you can't go wrong' but all three would be good servants for this community, particularly McKillip and Culpepper. I was leaning Culpepper last night, but as of now I can't make a decision. The latter appears to be the most likely to get things done in Atlanta, but I greatly admire McKillip's passion and ideas.

State Senate District 46

Who's Running
Rep. Jane Kidd (D)
Bill Cowsert (R)

Who I Like
This is a rematch of the 2004 race in which Kidd knocked off Cowsert to gain her seat in the Georgia General Assembly House of Representatives, replacing long-time representative Louise McBee. Since then, they've both decided to seek a seat in the State Senate and, oh yeah, the districts were redrawn to make this a more Republican-leaning seat.

Kidd has had some growing pains in her first year as state representative, and to her credit she has recognized that. In a recent speech she acknowledged this learning curve with a frank honesty that was refreshing coming from such a rabidly partisan environment.

Cowsert, I think it must be noted, isn't your everday Republican in 2006. He's considerably more moderate - enough to so to be able to pick up the endorsement of the Athens Banner-Herald the past two times - and he's got some concrete ideas about small business development.

However, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I voted for Brian Kemp when he first ran because I felt he was a good moderate who could bridge the gap in Atlanta, and I was let down as he gave in to the Republican leadership and proceeded to govern more from the right than I would have liked. I'm not saying Cowsert will turn out to be the exact same, but I'm reluctant to throw my support around someone like that again.

And besides, I happen to think Kidd has done a pretty good job as a representative for this community. She wants to keep class sizes lower, adjust teacher pay to meet rising health care costs and offer low-cost funding options to underserved rural hospitals that are struggling to get by, yet provide a most essential service.

With those considerations in mind, I like Jane Kidd in District 46.

State Senate District 47

Who's Running
Sen. Ralph Hudgens (R)
Mac Rawson (D)

Who I Like
No need to drag this one out folks as I, quite frankly, agree with the Banner-Herald in ...

Ralph Hudgens, the incumbent Republican in the state Senate District 47 seat, is the poster child for everything wrong with having a single party dominant in the state legislature.

This is a man who felt that the citizens of Athens-Clarke County simply shouldn't have a say in whether or not their district is split in two (and, for that matter, whether or not the citizens of Madison County should have a say either). He thinks he knows best, and he sadly doesn't.

Rawson has some innovative ideas when it comes to water quality and water control, as well as a desire to continue pushing this state toward efficient management of its natural resources and exploring alternative fuels. So, Mac Rawson will get my vote.

Governor

Who's Running
Gov. Sonny Perdue (R)
Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor (D)

Who I Like
Well, not really either one quite frankly. Taylor has run a textbook example of 'how to lose the governorship' while Perdue has run, in my opinion, one of the best campaigns in recent Georgia political history. Still, I've got too many disagreements with Perdue's policies to even consider voting for the man.

Taylor, on the other hand, has done almost nothing but run attack ads (which is understandable seeing he started the general election off down by more than 10 points), but as a result ... I've got little idea what he wants to do as governor.

So, while in State House District 115 I just haven't made up my mind, I'm deciding to sit this one out and write in someone.

My Picks In Other Races

Lieutenant Governor - Jim Martin (D)

Secretary of State- Gail Buckner (D)

Attorney General - Thurbert Baker (D)

Commissioner of Agriculture - Tommy Irvin (D)

Commissioner of Insurance - John Oxendine (R)

State School Superintendent - Undecided (I don't know if Denise Majette (D) has the necessary experience, but the record of Kathy Cox (R) has been fairly mixed, though I'd probably tentatively lean her way as of now).

Commissioner of Labor - Michael Thurmond (D)