Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Couple of things

- Seeing that I helped work on a child day care proposal for this, I'd like to see the Naval Supply School have some of its land allocated to assist homeless families. Don't get me wrong, I think we need some private business development there, as well as an expansion of the Medical College of Georgia, but it's a big plot of land ... let's use some of it to help provide day care and transistional housing.

- I don't think I'll be able to make it, but I encourage everyone to go meet with the folks from the Athens Banner-Herald on Wednesday at the Athens-Clarke County Library. This is a great idea, and I think it will help the public get a better idea of what actually goes on at the newspaper. Plus, Winders and Thompson are good folks, so you oughta go say hi.

- I've got some early morning thoughts on Election Day, and I feel the need to point out something troubling me. According to an Associated Press story, more than $225 million was spent by both parties in campaign activities independent of the candidates themselves. It's a shame we make raising all of this money, and then spending it to assail and demonize the opposition, so important in our political process. It scares off a lot of good people from seeking office and tends to drown out any serious dialogue on issues of the day.

- Todd at Athens Politics offered his thoughts as well on the election.

- Patrick Armstrong offers a different kind of Election Day endorsements.

- You know, I didn't even know this was still going on.

- Ladies and gentlemen ... John H. Morrow Jr. comes to play. More power to you good sir.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, election day!

Good point about the money raised and spent to attack the opposition and drag the debate to the lowest level possible. Relatedly, think of the good that could be done with that money.

Darren

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home