Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Local races

On the local side, we're heading to a runoff on the mayoral side as both Heidi Davison and Charlie Maddox are set to this all over again.

Davison almost pulled this thing out, picking up more than 10,000 votes for 45 percent of those cast. Maddox performed a little weaker than I had expected, finishing under 30 percent and only holding off Tom Chasteen by 1,000 or so votes.

Kelly Girtz is also heading to a runoff, one that's a little surprising to be honest. He picked up more than 3,000 votes for 42 percent of those cast, and he figures to do well in the runoff as the majority of those who voted for Ed Vaughan, I would assume, would probably back his candidacy. Hats off to Alvin Sheats though. He did a heckuva job, and, as Girtz and I discussed last night, he probably was aided some by name recognition.

And, proof anyone with a 'D' next to their name in this town can get elected, Doug McKillip is heading to the Georgia General Assembly. You know what surprises me? How much E.H. Culpepper struggled. Regina Quick almost beat him.

Bill Cowsert, not shockingly, is going to the state senate.

Cowsert said he didn't know what turned the election in his favor, though voters seemed to like his ideas about making health insurance more affordable, especially for small businesses.

You know what Bill, you seem like a nice enough guy but I'm going to go on a limb and say the fact that you had that district redrawn to feature a 57 percent Republican voting population might have helped you more.

Mac Rawson, by the by, cops out in his loss to Ralph Hudgens by telling the Athens Banner-Herald his defeat was because not enough folks gave him money. You know how you get that money? You ask them for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

jmac

I'm pasting here the comment that I just posted over at AthPo, it applies to you too:

Personally, I am glad that it is all over. I do not envy the folks who have to stay in campaign mode for another month.

In District 1, I concentrated on running a campaign that focused exclusively on my positions and policy proposals. As it turns out, the voters chose someone else (though I did make a respectable showing). So be it.

I feel that this blog has always treated me fairly and for that I am grateful.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Adrian Pritchett said...

I don't know Mac that well yet, but he might be too nice to ask for money -- and ironically people are probably very willing to support candidates like that.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home