Monday, December 11, 2006

Couple of things

- While E.H. Culpepper lends his efforts to an Atlanta-Athens commuter rail, the guy who beat him in the election learns the ins-and-outs of being a state legislator.

- I think the editorial folks may be overreading this one a bit. I took the 'still pending' comment to mean that BYX was just waiting on the promise to drop religion from the requirements become official in terms of UGA policy, i.e. something in writing and approved by the appropriate folks.

- I wouldn't say three-laning Hawthorne isn't working, but it's definitely led to some traffic nightmares. I'm not ready to say it should become a four-lane road (though I think that's moot for at least a while), but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. I mean, I drive down this thing every day, and it is probably the worst one in town that isn't connected to the University of Georgia campus (though I do hate the Five Points intersection if you're heading toward downtown on Lumpkin ... the stoplight appears to be favoring the folks on Milledge considerably more than those on Lumpkin).

- Apparently, she couldn't do just one.

- Blake put together a nice piece on the local political scene following the election, and, unlike my friends at Athens Politics, I don't get a weird, power-hungry vibe from Elton Dodson. Though I am a fan of those who won office this past week, and I'm very optimistic about some of the things they're going to be able to do, let me say that I disagree with them on one thing - three-laning Prince Avenue. I think it's a mistake, and I think you can develop a long-term plan which can best preserve the pedestrian-friendly aspects of that area with four lanes ... particularly with the upcoming move of Prince Avenue Baptist Church, which has the potential to free up those parking spots along the road.

- I'm warming to the instant runoff idea.

- Picture time! Here's Disney World, Georgia-Georgia Tech and the runoff election for mayor and commission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home