Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Couple of things

- They've got some problems down in Greene County, and if there ever was a place in this state where you were bound to see some conflict over the tremendous disparity of wealth - and it's huge down there - this is it. For what it's worth, it does sound like the board needs to trim its spending, and typically I always think things like charter schools are great ideas. But, regarding the latter, someone isn't telling the truth. Either this new school will exclude folks from across the country from application and admission or it doesn't.

- Uh, well, sure. But aren't they all?

- Is it wrong that when I saw who penned this letter, the first thing I thought of was this.

- I pose an honest sports-related question.

- Though I don't necessarily agree with the comparison, I agree with them about the central argument - that it's not right, and getting pretty tiresome, that we've got the folks in Atlanta now micromanaging every single local issue out there. Our property taxes are kinda high, sure, but I don't think this is the best solution to the problem.

- Just as a heads-up, I've got two responses I know I owe folks, and I promise I'll get around to 'em.

- Let me tell you what the hell is wrong with Bill Shipp ... the old man has absolutely lost it. It isn't so much the arguments he's put forth in this recent column - as I agree with some, but disagree with more - but rather that as of late he's taking to becoming, for lack of a better way to describe it, nothing but a bitter, mean old fella. For absolutely no reason at all, he's taken to attacking high school and collegiate athletes, the University of Georgia football program, young people, folks who don't look like him and the like.

- You know, I don't think we've got a rampant drug use problem among our teachers in the Clarke County School System so it's unfortunate some folks may make that unnecessary conclusion from this whole thing, but I've never really had a problem with random drug testing. I had to undergone a couple of random drug screens back when I worked at the newspaper and, considering I don't use drugs, I had nothing to worry about. I know that's a rather simplistic argument to make, but I think it's also a rather simplistic issue.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With regards to Bill Shipp, I'm convinced that Bill Shipp is a pretty progressive guy as far as Georgia goes. If you noticed during the 2006 election, Bill Shipp was pretty obvious in his support for Mark Taylor. I've noticed after elections Bill will do a 180 and try and regain his political capital amongst conservatives that he loses during the election. It's usually in the form of saying how screwed up the Democratic Party is, illegal immigration, or something along those lines. He'll be back around come election time. He's definitely the only white progressive voice on the Georgia Gang.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jmac said...

I'd agree with your final sentence, as well as his support of Mark Taylor. I suppose it's his weird anti-sports kick he's been in that's tipped me off.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Holla said...

Speaking for myself, you don't 'owe' me a response, JMac. Your only debt to me is the debt of love, in that Christian way and not in that way that gutterminds (like me) might think when they first hear me say that which I just said.

Don't hurt yourself, dude.

8:59 AM  
Blogger chico said...

I just want to say that the Don Johnson music video was hilarious. I can't believe you dug that up. Actually, I can't believe he had a video. After Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time," I didn't think I could be shocked anymore by bad celebrity songs from the 80s. You learn something new everyday.

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The irksome thing about the CCSD drug-testing initiative is that there are easier places to hunt for problems than teachers' piss tests. It has this alternately feel good (if you are for it)/witch hunt (if you are against it) quality that encourages bad feelings and divisiveness.

Why doesn't the school board look at more difficult, but more important, issues like pregnancy prevention, spending of SPLOST dollars and new teacher support? Because it is hard to pat ourselves on the back at the end of a single voting meeting when addressing any of those issues critical to the success of the CCSD.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the same Don Johnson that was in Congress?

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I hear Jane Kidd mention Don Johnson's name (she managed his campaign for Congress) I think of Miami Vice. By the way, anyone know if the new one is any good? I almost rented yesterday, went for Invincible instead. Bad mistake.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Invincible looked too cheesy for me ... and I love cheesy sports movies. Haven't seen Miami Vice, but it looks kinda cool.

I'm holding out for someone to remake Airwolf.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jmac said...

Well ... perhaps I spoke too soon.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it had high cheesy possibility, but the real warning should have been that it was PG and Disney to boot.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Polusplanchnos said...

I don't know if it's worth anything, but I walked out of Miami Vice. The cinematography was nice, but the action and dialogue were really bad. It's the usual dialogue and development of the show, turned hyperbole. I just couldn't handle it.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't rent Miami Vice last night per your advice. Watched Derailed instead and though it was pretty good as in really good.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home